-Chapter 24: Friend or Foe?-

-
-
The next game went by in a blast. It was calm and quick, with our team playing strategically and with care. It was against Denmark, but to my dismay, I didn't play. I spent the game sat on the sidelines with Sam as we watched our friends play their hearts out to get us and our country further into the tough tournament. At half time, I watched as Sam boosted our teams spirits and put determination in their hearts before they ran out again. Of course, I made sure to give Ellie her good luck peck on the cheek in the changing rooms beforehand... and it definitely helped because we ended the game with a 2-0 win!

The vibe in the changing room afterwards is amazing. The chaos, the loud voices, the blasting music, the cheers. It's insane. Sure, we didn't win yet...but we're one step closer. We're also in the quarterfinals which is as far as the Matildas as a whole has ever gone before. I dance, cheer, shout with the team as I glance around. This is my new family, and I know I can trust them with my life.

In celebration, we head to the bar of the hotel and got drinks. The age of drinking being 18 in Australia is a great thing since a few of us wouldn't be able to get drink in the US. I sat at the bar, a drink in hand as I scan the team. Sam, Steph, Macca and Alanna were sitting together, talking loudly, but too quiet to be heard above the music. Kyra, Charli and a few others were on the makeshift dance floor having the time of their lives. Katrina was one of the few who didn't go, but that's cause she had to watch Harper. I glance to the side and see Alycia and Hayley in the corner. They look like they're about to makeout, so I look away quickly to see Ellie sitting beside me. "Hey." She says. I grin, turning to her. "Hey." I say.

She quickly orders a drink before sighing. "We're as far as we've ever gotten. Can you believe it?" She asks. I laugh, shaking my head and leaning back. "I mean, overall, I think this is the best team we've had in a while." I reply. She nods, leaning a head on my shoulder. Ellie's drink arrives and she take a nice long sip before clinking it against my glass. "To our amazing team, amazing people and my amazing girlfriend." She says. I grin, tilting my head. "I think I have a better girlfriend." I say, watching as her eyes fill with mischief. "Oh yeah?" She asks. "Yeah. She's amazing. I'd do anything for her." I say. She chuckles, watching me with a close eye. "She sure doesn't feel it." She says. As she does, I grin, feeling the alcohol warm my body before deciding to lean in and kiss her.

Sure, the rest of the team was here. But who cares, they'll find out eventually. Ellie clearly also didn't really care, because she put her hand on the back of my head to deepen the kiss. I hear whoops and hollers from behind us, but I couldn't care less as I was focused on my girlfriend in front of us. After a bit, we pulled away and I hear someone scream from behind us. "FINALLY"

__________________________

So, now we're revealed to the team. They were obviously supportive, and love us the same...or more. But after a while of rest, we had to get back into training for our next game against what is revealed to be France in the quarterfinals. Ellie looked a bit nervous, possibly because many players on the team were also players from Lyon. I was a bit too, because I know how talented and good they are at the sport...but with our team, I can see victory as a possible outcome.

Training was tough, but not overbearing. With all of us pushing ourselves with determination to achieve what would be Australia's best standing if we beat France. All too soon, game day arrives and we're warming up in the locker rooms. Sam stood in front of us, giving us inspirational words as we listened. Well, most of us.

I turn my head to glance at my girlfriend, who is fiddling with her blue headband as she zones out. It's sad to see her so nervous, so I wrap my arm around her and pull her into me. "Hey, we're gonna be ok." I say, kissing her forehead. She looks up at me, smiling lightly before pecking my lips. "I know. I just can't help but be nervous." She replies. I nod, smiling softly. "I know. Don't forget, you're not the only one who made friends on that team. I know how good they are too."

At that, Sam calls for our attention. "Ellie, Y/N. You two know our opponents probably best. Any tips, info or hints?" She asks. Everyone's attention turns to us, and with a glance to Ellie, we nod.

The starting lineup did not include me. Nor did it include Sam. Tony said that we'd be subbed on later on, possibly earlier depending on the situation on the field. Sam finally played again in the Denmark game, so the fans know she's fit to play. Imagine their disbelief when they didn't see her on the starting lineup. I greet the players I see, and I spot Ellie doing the same to those on the field. After the anthems, I take a seat next to Sam on the sidelines, watching as the team goes to their places.

Throughout the first half, nothing is scored from either side. It made us frustrated. Sam and I standing occasionally, shouting along with the crowd and having chats with Tony about possible strategies. I know how strong the France team is, but I didn't realise how evenly matched they would be compared to us. I bury my head into my hands as we watch the ball get stolen yet again by the opposing team. As good as we did in attacking, it always gets blocked or stolen. Yet, we did the same to them. Ellie, Steph, Alanna and Clare doing wonders in stealing, and Macca being the insane goalie she is.

Once halftime hit, the team returns with tired but determined faces. We know it's not over. We know we still have a chance. One single goal can determine the whole ass match. The moment Ellie reached me, she begins talking about different strategies, knowing I knew the players too helped because I knew their play styles too. We shared our ideas with Sam, Steph and Tony before halftime was up. The ones who were on the field cooling down before returning to the field. As we walked back out, Tony caught up with Sam and I. "Sam, warm up. I'm going to sub you on soon." He says. Sam nods, taking off the bib, revealing her jersey before heading off to warm up. "Y/N, you'll sub on too. Just be ready." I nod, heading to the seats as I hear the crowd go wild as they realise Sam was warming up, signalling to them that she'd get subbed on.

At 55 minutes, Sam gets subbed on. She runs onto the field, replacing EVE and stares the other team down. I hope we can win this.

_____________________

0 - 0

That's how the score looks even now. Subbing Sam on gave us more power, yes, but it wasn't enough to get past their defence. "Y/N. Get ready." Tony says, nodding to the warm up lane.

I nod, stripping the bib off me and revealing my own jersey. Wearing the number 22 proud. I jog to the lane, doing my warmups as I watch the game. I hear cheers as they spot me, making sure to flash them a smile before focusing on my warmups.

Not long later, I finish up and walk back as Tony nods at me. He signals a substitution and I see the board being held up, displaying my number 22 and Hayley's number 16. Hayley spots it, jogs off and high fives me. "Go get em." She mutters before I jog on.

The game starts again quickly, the ball flying around the field to different players, even landing at my feet for a few seconds before I have to pass it to Sam to prevent it being stolen. I'm right in expecting a tough game, because it truly was. The ball gets stolen from us, then we steal it back, then it gets blocked and stolen, then we block and get the ball. It's almost impossible to get past each other's defence.

Soon, the time runs down and the game goes into overtime. Alycia gets subbed in for Cooney-Cross as a midfielder. Which she doesn't mind because even though she's a forward, she isn't bad at midfielding. However, even with that, by the time overtime is over, the score remains 0-0

As the whistle blows, we stop, glancing at each other as we walk to form a line.

We're tied.

But we can't tie in this match.

We're going to a penalty shootout....

A/N: I'm alive and not dead! I just started Uni and have writers block :((((

I'm sorry! And I'm trying!!

-M_W_F

Word Count: 1520