-Chapter 21: The Opening Match-

Lacing up my boots and putting on my yellow and green number 22 jersey made it finally hit me. This is my first world cup with the Matildas, and I'm starting. I put on my lucky arm sleeve, taking a deep breath as I shake my nerves away as we get called to the tunnels.

Following the team, I walk down the halls towards the tunnels where the deafening roar of the crowd is heard from outside. The starting 11 lineup in order, with me behind Ellie as we wait for the signal to go. Beside us, the Ireland starting 11 also lined up, greeting us with nods and smiles as the children who were to accompany us out arrive to take our hands. I'm met with a little girl who grins up at me.

"Hello, what's your name?" I ask, bending down to level our heights a bit. "Jessica." She says. I smile, taking her hand. "Well hello, Jessica. Do you like watching the Matildas?" I ask. She nods enthusiastically, grinning widely. "Yeah! I want to be one when I grow up." She says. I smile, laughing a little.

"Who do you like the best?" I ask, knowing it probably wasn't the new player. The girl points in front of us to Ellie, making me smile. "Ellie Carpenter?" I ask. She nods, looking a little shy. I stand, tapping Ellie on the back to make her turn around.

"Hey. This little girl here says you're her favourite." I tell her, making her smile and look at Jessica. "Is that so? Well, that's an honour." She says, bending down to speak to the girl. "How about after the match, I'll give you my jersey, yeah?" She offers. The girl jumps up and down excitedly, her eyes lighting up. "Really!" She asks. Ellie nods, laughing as she stands.

She smiles at me, using her other hand to squeeze mine before turning back to the kid next to her. Jessica suddenly hugs me, catching me by surprise. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She says. I pat her back, smiling. "You're welcome. Plus, I understand how you feel." I say before whispering in the girl's ear. "Ellie's my favourite too."

As we get told we're about to head out, the girl takes my hand again. "You're my second favourite." She says. I laugh, nodding. "Thank you." I say.

We get told to head out, so we all begin walking in a line into the loud cheers of the crowd. I see thousands of people, making my heart thud in my chest as we make our way into the field. Those who aren't playing head to the side as us starting 11 all stand in a line. Jessica stands in front of me as I put my hands behind my back, watching the crowd as the national anthems come on.

As Australia's anthem plays, I grin, singing proudly along to my country as we stare at crowds. I'm standing between Ellie and Kya as my number is between them as we sing. Once that's over, we all huddle together for a team photo. Macca in the middle of the top row as we all huddle around, Steph being in front middle, holding the banner thingy. I grin at the camera, putting my hand behind Ellie and holding her by the waist, doing the same to Kyra on my right as I hear them shout "3, 2, 1, Smile!"

Once that's over, we all split, walking to our positions on the pitch after wishing each other good luck. I head over to my position at right wing, watching the player opposite me as the ref heads to the middle to give the ball to Caitlin. Once the whistle blows, we're off.

Caitlin passes to Mary, who passes it back before we begin attacking. I run forward, trying to get into a good position for a pass. It's hard, especially since they're marking me so much, forcing me to move around a lot. It's not long before the ball makes its way up to the Ireland goal. But Ireland isn't a bad team, resulting in it being stolen, or blocked when a shot is attempted.

I got a few touches on the ball, but not enough to score a goal, resulting in the team getting frustrated whenever a shot is blocked. By the time the first half is over, we're still on a 0-0 point mark, with both teams on the verge of a goal, but none happening. It was annoying to say the least, but with neither team having any points, it left hope for a win still in the air.