-Chapter 25: Penalty Shootout-

All players currently on the field lined up as we waited for everything to be set up. This penalty shootout will make or break our journey in this World Cup.

I put my arms around my teammates as Macca steps to the goal, preparing for the shootout to start. The first shooter was Selma Bacha. The crowd went silent as she lined up her shot, the only sound I could hear was my loud heartbeat as we watch her shot.

She shoots low to the left, the ball flying with speed towards the goal, only to be blocked and stopped by Macca. I sigh, relief for the first shot as we nod at each other, the crowd happy as we watch our first shooter approach, Caitlin.

She lined up her shot, the crowd once again going silent as we watch our first shooter attempt to get us the lead. I held my breath as we watch Caitlin begin her run up. She does a stuttering run up, before kicking the ball in a powerful shot to the bottom left of the net. The shot flies, and brushes just past the goalie, sinking into the net.

I jump up, cheering loudly with the crowd as Caitlin happily runs back, showing off to the crowd and running back to us to engulf her in a hug. She got us into the lead! I cheer loudly, grinning as we get back into our line, calming down as the next shooter steps up, Kadidiatou Diani.

She doesn't waste much time, running up and shooting, successfully getting past Macca and evening the score.

This goes on for a while, the scores becoming even each time.

Steph goes up, her shot being saved by the goalie. Then the French captain Wendie Renard stepping up and sinking her shot near the left post of the goal. To counter the captain, our own captain steps up. Sam shooting to the low right, passing the goalie's hand and scoring, once again making the score even.

Now, with 2-2, Eugenie Le Sommer steps up, calmly shooting her shot into the low right, passing Macca and upping their score.

Each time these happens, I feel the tension of the crowd and the team increase. The pressure of one wrong shot can cost the game, cost us the world cup. I feel Ellie's arm tighten around me each time something happens, showing her nervousness as the shootout goes on.

Mary steps up next, confidently running in from the left, hinting a right kick before powerfully shooting to the low left, throwing off the goalie. She excitedly returns to the team, high fiving us as the score, once again, evens out.

Eve Perisset goes next, debating her shot. She was subbed in late in extra time, similar to me, giving her more stamina for a powerful shot. However, Macca seemingly reads her like a book, going for a dive save as Perisset shoots left, resulting in the ball snugly landing in Macca's arms.

Now 3-3, we have the chance to win. France has done their 5 shots while we have one more. If we make this one, we win. In a meaningful way, Macca leaves the goal post, stepping up to take the shot herself. The stadium is silent, the teams are silent, the only sound being the sharp ring of the whistle, signalling Macca to shoot. She does, running up and shooting towards the top right corner.

Sadly, her shot was a tad too powerful, resulting in it bouncing off the goal frame and not being a goal. The crowd sighs as I do the same, the information registering in our heads.

We're tied, and every shot counts.

Grace Geyoro shoots, getting her shot in, resulting in a 4-3. If we miss, we lose, if we make it, we continue the shootout.

Mini steps up, shooting powerfully to the low left, slipping past the goalie and getting the goal, once again, evening the score. She runs back, showing her pride and making sure to do little Harper proud before returning to the team.

Sakina Karchaoui shoots, making it and raising the score, once again putting the pressure on us as Alycia goes up. I cheer loudly for her, making her smile as she nods at me. We've come a long way from where we started. I watch as she takes a deep breath, centering her focus before she goes. She stutters runs, tapping it into the low right as the goalie dives first, getting us our equaling goal.

Mallele Lakrar goes up, running straight down the middle as Macca dives early, allowing her to shoot to the right, getting past Macca and once again, upping the score. I sigh, rubbing my face as the pressure once again increases and increases. The weight on my heart getting heavier as the shootout goes on, fear wracking my body at the knowledge that we can lose so easily.

As the goalies switch, I feel the arm around me leave, telling me it's now Ellie's turn to shoot. As a defender, she isn't the best at shooting, she knows that. The difference here is that there are no defenders except the goalie. Ellie's done this plenty of times in training.

I have faith in her. I mouth a good luck to her as she nods, lining up her shot. She takes a few steps before powerfully hitting the ball to the left, getting past the goalie and slamming into the inside of the left post. I jump up wildly, cheering as Ellie excitedly runs back, jumping into my arms as I hug her, then getting piled into a hug from everyone.

"I knew you could do it." I whisper, making her smile.

Kenza Dali does her shot, but ends up needing to do a redo because Macca left her line early to save the ball. So she goes again, shooting to the top right, only to again, be saved by Macca.

Macca being Macca, once she saves the ball, She stares the ref down, challenging her to say it wasn't legal. It was, and the score stays 6-6. If we make the shot, we win. If we miss, we continue the shootout.

Clare Hunt goes to shoot, making me realise we're now using our usual defenders. She shots, aiming for a raised shot to the left side. The goalie dives the wrong way, but somehow was about to lift her hand in time to stop the shot, resulting in no win for us, and a continuation of this long ass penalty shootout.

Vicki Becho steps up, lining her shot before successfully tricking Macca into going the wrong way. I felt my heart drop at that, making me feel extremely nervous before the sound of metal rings around the stadium, showing us that the shot hit the post, thus not making it in and once again, giving us an opportunity to win.

I grin, feeling hope when I feel someone tapping my back. I turn, seeing Sam nod towards the ball. "Bring it home, Y/N." She says. I feel my heart pound harshly in my chest as I realise it is my turn to shoot. If I miss, we just continue....but I don't want to continue. I want to win.

I feel Ellie squeeze my hand, silently telling me I can do it before I step up. I hear cheers from the crowd, but it's muffled as I hear my heartbeat louder than anything. I can do this. I'm the Matildas' new player, but I've scored my fair share of goals, right?

Each step felt heavier as I make my way towards the ball and goal, eyeing the goalie as I take a deep breath in. I can do this. The team trusts me, Australia trusts me, Ellie trusts me.

I take a few steps, watching the goalie, watching her stance and where she's leaning before kicking. I tap the ball to the right side as her stance was leaning more towards the left. I watch as she immediately pivots right, her hands out stretching towards the ball.

Time seems to slow as we all watch the ball fly through the air towards the goal and the goalie...before the ball slips just past the goalie's gloves.

I don't even wait for the official whistle before taking off, sprinting towards the team as the announcement is said

It was a goal.

I am almost immediately engulfed in a big hug by the team, Ellie reaching me first and jumping at me, cheering loudly. Both the Tillies on and off field pile together, cheering and jumping as our hearts pound.

We've done it!

That shot was the last shot of this game!

For the first time in history, we're in the Semi-Finals of the World Cup.

Word Count: 1441

A/N: Woohoo!

I'm also going to start a new book alongside this one. Idk when, but it's a completely different fandom so don't worry about reading it.

I am also planning to remove the 4th Max Mayfield book because I can't seem to write it or come up with anything. At least not until the 5th season of Stranger Things.

M_W_F