07

I find my way to the younger girls and see them on the swings. When they spot me, they try to swing faster. Their giggles are loud and I can only smile at that. 

"Grayson took Nathan to get ice creams", I say to the girls. They both frown in sync and I add,"But I'm sure they are bringing you guys some." 

They both smile at that and they swing faster. After five minutes of continuous riding, they both slow down and Lily looks up at me. I can tell there is something that is bothering her and she needs to ask. I give her an encouraging smile and she takes a deep breath in.

"Are you dating my brother?", she blurts out and I flush bright red. I stumble over my words,"No, he and I are, well I don't know what we are, but…" 

"I saw you guys holding hands and Gray hugs you and Nathan says he kissed you and–"

"Yes, and he only kissed me on the cheek, but that was because he was thanking me." 

"Right", Anna says, sharing a look with her sisters and I heat up more. They both giggle but then Lily turns to me,"If Gray and you date, he won't take care of us anymore. Last time he dated, we never saw him on the weekends." 

"Oh, I'm sure he was trying his best to come home and that won't be a problem with me." 

"What won't be a problem?", a voice says behind me and I jump. Grayson chuckles when I turn to look at him. He is holding ice creams in his hand and Nathan is already handing Lily one. Grayson walks past me to get to Anna and hands her an ice cream. The girls giggle and the kids make their way to a bench. Grayson walks next to me and hands me an ice cream too. I accept it from him with a thanks and try not to dwell on the way his hand brushed against mine. On the way I felt something when that happened.

"Rocky road, right?", he asks me as we head toward the benches. He remembers the ice cream flavor I chose when our teams went out to celebrate a year ago. I nod and once we get there, Nathan makes space for Grayson to sit. Which leads to me awkwardly standing with no space to sit.

I look around the park and then feel a little hand on mine. I look down at Nathan's smiling face and he points to the empty space he was sitting in. I shake my head but Grayson says,"Just sit, Julie." 

"Oh okay", I sat down uncomfortably crammed into Grayson's side. I tried not to notice how our arms were touching.  I turn to the little kid,"And where do you plan on sitting?" 

"Right here", he says climbing onto my lap. Grayson frowns,"I thought the plan was for you to sit on my lap?" 

"Yes, but I like Julie better", Nathan says, licking his ice cream. I turn to Grayson and laugh,"Jealous yet?" 

"Yes", he says again and that causes me to laugh so hard, Nathan holds on tighter to me. Grayson rolls his eyes at me but I only laugh harder. He eventually joins in and it makes me laugh louder. 

"You're the worst, Julie", he says, his eyes playful. 

"You're the best", Nathan counterclaims and I glance at Grayson again. It sets me off again and this time Nathan joins in.

••••

After the ice creams, Grayson announces that it's time to go home. I stand up from my spot on the bench and look around. I spot my friends on the swings and am about to walk over to them when Nathan grabs my hand. 

"Are you coming with us?"

"No, I came here with my friends and it would be weird for me to leave them." 

"Oh", Nathan says with a frown and Lily and Anna follow suit. I look over to my friends and text them. 

Would you guys be okay with me going to Grayson's house?