12

When we get to the Volleyball camp I find that it is an actual resort. The girls on our team are asisgned only two rooms, so there are seven of us in a room. It's safe to say that it is crowded, and loud. The girls are fighting over which bunk they want and where they are going to store their belongings. They had let me get the first pick, so I am unpacking on the bed of my choice and trying to tune our their conversation.

I called it first

No, I did

You would think that this was a playgroup instead of a camp with girls nearing the age of  eighteen. I pull out my athletic sets and place them in the cubby which I will be using majority of the time. Once the girls are done bickering, we all head down to the dining area for food.

It's almost midnight, but the room is packed with students all loud and energized. I spot our other team members,of both girl and boys, and head to the area. The lunch tables are much bigger so the close to thirty of us fit perfectly. Once we start eating, I let my eyees wander around the table. Looking for somebody, a unwanted voice says in my mind but I don't dwell on it.

My eyes scan the guys left and right until I'm left with a frown. One of them, a close friend of the guy I'm searching for, catches my eye. He raises his eyebrows and I get the courage to say,"Where's Grayson?"

The guy, who know I remember is named Tatum looks around at the table as if he only now realized that his friend wasn't with us. He scratches his head and says,"Grayson got on the phone as soon as we found our room. He seemed rather worried, if not stressed."

"Okay", I say plastering on a small smile. Grayson has been stressed the last week and today his stress was maximized. It had to be because of the fact that he was forced here and that he has a lot of things going on at home.

"Why are you looking for him?", Tatum asks his tone very suggestive; not letting the fact that he assumed there was something between Grayson and I go hidden. I pick up my fork and stab the piece of lasgna,"Just wanted to know."

"Yeah he will be fine", the guy amends after hearing that I'm not denying the fact that there is something going on between us. I didn't know what it was between Grayson and I, but I did know that it wasn't merrily as it was before.

After I eat, I head up to the kitcen staff and ask for another plate. I lie and say that it is for my coach and the lady working wraps the plate in aluminium foil. Once I have it in my hands, I head out of the cabin and toward the one where I know he will be.

I place the tray on the table right beside the front entrance of the cabin and then stand there thinking. Thinking if I should go in there and ask him if he is okay, thinking if I should just leave this here and walk away. In the end, I choose neither of them and grab a peice of paper and write down a note.

For Grayson,

You have to eat in order for you to take care of your siblings.

-Julie.

Afterwards, I leave the note on the tray and knock on the door. I leave before I hear anything else. When I get back to my cabin and am falling asleep only then do I realize I signed the note as his nickname for me rather than the one I go for.

•••••

Grayson doesn't make any indication of getting my note the night before. He doesn't even glance at me or offer me a smile, he instead leads his group through the events. Tonight we have a little game but for now, we have to bond with the other schools.