10

Everybody is silent, and when I turn around they are all gaping at me. I look at Grayson, who blinks a few time and then says,"Which, Nathan did not know about. Thank you for that, Julie." He walks away, heading to the kitchen and I cringe. Nathan, however, jumps up and down at the new news. 

"Julie! You are throwing me a party?", he exclaims at the top of his lungs and I have no idea what to do but grab him into another hug. I tickle him for a few seconds before, dropping off my bag on the floor and saying,"I'm going to go check on Gray for a second okay. I'll be back." I give him a high five and head into the direction Grayson went a few minutes ago. I find him at the table looking at a paper on the table, a pencil in his hand.  I make my way to him and sit at a chair across from him. 

"I'm sorry about telling—" 

"It's fine", he says, seemingly distracted and then looks up at me,"I just have so much to do. And with him knowing about it, I have to get it done faster." 

"I can help you. That's why I'm here", I say shrugging, extending my hand toward the paper. Grayson sighs,"I didn't ask you here to help. I asked you here to spend time with Nathan." 

"But I can help you now. Come on, we can have Stacie keep him here at the house, while we go shopping for the stuff", I say already reading off the list, my mind already searching for the items at out nearest target.

"I don't know", he says chewing his inner cheek when I look up at him. He looks at me, his eyes softening and then says,"How about this. You take Nathan out and the girls and I head to the store to get the stuff and come back to decorate." 

"Well, what was wrong with my idea?", I am frustrated at him for switching the plan. He almost doesn't look at me as he stands up, pockets the list and says,"I know you don't want to go out with me." 

"What?", I say obviously confused to what he is gathering at. He glances at me for a second and then shakes his head,"It's whatever, take Nathan for the day and show up back around here at three." 

I stand up, walking with him and say,"Why are you being so dismissal?" 

"Look Julie", he says stopping abruptly, making me step back a step,"We don't have much time to work it so it would be greatly appreciated if you took him for the next three hours." 

"Okay", I say looking down at my shoe, I'm wearing sandals and I especially painted my toenails blue for today. I hear Grayson sigh beside me and says,"Okay. We really need to get going." 

"Okay", this time I picked up my chin and walked out of the room away from him. How can he be so dismissive with me when he asked me here? He frustrates me. I find Nathan jumping on the couch and I head over to him. I put a hand on his shoulder, stopping him, and say,"Hey little man, while your siblings set up for the party. How about we do a pre-party at the park?" 

"Awesome", he says jumping into my arms. I grab him off the couch and set him down on the floor. "How about you grab some shoes and I gather my belongings?" He flashes me two thumbs up and heads to the direction of his shoe. I pick up my purse and put my phone inside, I exchange that for my car keys. I look up to see Grayson in front of me, his eyes on mine. I let out a raspberry,"What?"

He opens his mouth to say something but decides against it. He opens his mouth  again and this time follows through saying,"Be careful with him." 

"I will", I manage a smile, looking away from him. Nathan arrives, shoes on his feet, and says his goodbyes to Grayson. 

"I'll see you later okay. Have fun with Julie", Grayson says, hugging his brother one more time. 

I walk to the front door, Nathan following me. When I open the door, I look back at Grayson looking at us with what seems to be sad eyes. He then smiles though and says,"Drive safely."