39

I go back to Grayson's house the following day. It's a Thursday and I know the kids need to go back to school. I wake up earlier than my alarm and quickly do my routine and I am out my house not even thirty minutes later. Once I get to his house, I knock on the door and it's a while later when Stacie opens the door. She is dressed for school in her school polo and black slacks. 

The girls behind her are still in their pajamas and Stacie says,"They don't want to go." I walk past her and inside where I kneel down to get their height. I grab Lily's hand in mine and say,"Why not?" 

Anna answers for her little sister,"We don't want to go when Gray can't even get out of bed." 

"That's a little dramatic", Grayson shouts from upstairs and I realize that the house too quiet. Too eerie. There is no joy here as opposed to a week ago.

"Come on", I say to them and stand up. "We have to go. Your brother is fine, and if he is not, I'll take of him." 

"You'll always take care of him?", Lily asks looking up at me with a frown on her face. I nod and say,"Yes, always." As I say this, the little girls run upstairs shouting about what they are going to wear, fighting as they choose the same thing.  I laugh and then glance around the room. 

"Where is Nathan?", I ask Stacie after realizing he isn't down here. 

"Still sleeping", she says quietly, she is worried about him. I walk up the stairs and into Grayson's room to find my boyfriend kneeling on the floor, his hands holding up a shirt. 

"Come on, buddy. Getting your education is important", he is attempting to dress the kid. I kneel down beside him and take the shirt from his hand. He doesn't look any better than he did yesterday and it makes me a little sad. 

"Julie", he says quietly trying to take the shirt back and I shake my head. I place a hand on his cheek and say,"Go back to bed. I'll take care of them." 

He stares at me for a moment and after a while, he nods. He knows I'm not going to back down from this. He sighs a breath of relief and leans in and places a lingering kiss on lips. "Thank you, baby", he whispers making me blush. His hands brush the ends of my hair as he stands up and slowly makes his way to his bed. 

"Nathan", I say gathering my attention of the little kid who would rather play with his toy car. I place a hand on his shoulder and when he turns around, he has tears running down his eyes. "What happned?", I whisper to him and he glances at his older brother before turning to me. 

"I had a dream", he starts and I nod encouraging him to go on,"That Gray he didn't make it out of the car accident." 

"He died?", I whisper and that's all it takes for him to fling hinslef toward me. I hold on to him tightly and whisper,"It was a dream." 

"It was scary", he responds back. "Grayson could leave. He could go away and never come back." 

"But he won't", I promise. 

"No", he says,"He could. And how am I supposed to make sure he doesn't if I am at school?" 

"Nathan", I say my heart breaking at the little kid's words. "I'll take care of him. Gray is going to school today and I will go with him."

"I'm not going to school", Grayson grumbles and I turn to look at him. He looks sad, he heard what Nathan said. My eyes glance at the tear that escaped his eye even as he had wiped at it quick. 

"He is", I say and then say,"Trust me, Nate. I'm going to take care of him." 

"You promise?", he asks his voice breaking at the word. I nod and he glances at me and then his brother. A smile makes itself on to his face and he says,"You love my brither?"