38

"Juliette", I hear two worried voices and turn to see my parents running toward me. I let go of Nathan and walked towards them, suddenly exhausted. It doesn't matter, they already know.

When I reach them, I immediately hug them, my shoulders sagging with relief. 

"Oh my God, Jules", my mom says, tucking my hair behind my ear. I don't comment on the misuse of my nickname. "Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine, but my boyfriend is still in the emergency room", I say frantically. I look into their eyes to see if there is any sign of them going to mention what the doctor said. They don't mention it, do they not believe the doctor or simply don't care?

I saw the look in my mother's eye. She had flinched for a second and my father had pursed his lips up. They believed it, so why weren't they asking me about it? Could it be because Grayson's siblings are behind us? But they hadn't glanced at them yet.

They are ignoring it.

"Your boyfriend?", my dad says shocked, focusing on something other than me. His voice pulls me back and when I am back, I can hardly look them in the eyes.

They don't care.

"Grayson was driving me home but then a car came straight for us", I explain. 

"I knew that kid was trouble", my mom says making me back away from her, what was she saying? Why was she saying it now?

"Trouble? Mom, he is in the emergency room", I say my voice breaking.

"I thought you weren't seeing him anymore after he hurt you. He is constantly hurting you." 

"He does not! That was a misunderstanding and—"

"We are leaving and you are to never see him again", my dad says making me turn to him in shock. 

"I can't leave", I shout looking at my mom straight in the eyes.

Give me a sign. Something that tells me you care about what the doctor shared with you.  

But there is nothing in her eyes but fury, as if I am a child who is disobeying her and now being difficult. "Yes, you can", my mom says grabbing my arm and dragging me  around. I plant my feet and feel my cheeks heat up in anger. 

"Stop, you guys are being insensitive", I shout turning around to see his siblings crying harder now. "His siblings are not even five feet away and you are speaking ill of him", I shout looking back at my parents.  "He is a good man." 

"Man", my mom mocks and it makes me get angrier. Why aren't you questioning why your daughter cuts if you had believed the doctor?

"Yes, a man. A man who in the midst of a concusion and probably a broken arm asked of his siblings first." 

"Juliette he was the one who put you in danger first." 

"I'm not talking to you about this. My heart hurts at not knowing whether he is okay and you are making it worse. I'm staying."

"You are leaving with us, young lady", my dad says and my hands fist up. 

"Maybe you should leave, Julie", Stacie says from behind me, trying to make peace but I shake my head. I head toward her and say,"I'm not leaving until I know your brother is safe." 

"Juliette." 

"Don't you dare say my name again, Mom. You guys are being unreasonable when the only thing you guys should be concerned is about my boyfriend's health."