~Chapter 12~ ~Zeltron~

I woke up and I didn't dream of anything while I was asleep. I rolled my hands up into fists, raised them to my face and gently rubbed my eyes. "Hunter? Aria?" I whispered just in case Mom or Dad were in my room. Nobody answered, so I placed my hands on my blankets and looked around my room. Nobody was there. I heard the sound of a bird chirping and looked over at my window to see a sparrow standing on my windowsill. Is that the same sparrow Hunter was looking at? I asked myself. No, it can't be, it's not like that's the only sparrow in the world, the probability of it being the same one is nearly impossible. I thought to myself. The sparrow started to peck my window with its bill, I tried going off my bed so I could frighten the sparrow away, but once I moved, my leg started hurting. "I forgot about that." I mumbled to myself in pain. I looked over at the sparrow and waved my hand, trying to get it to leave, but it didn't. It ignored me and continued pecking the window.

I was starting to get annoyed and frustrated of the constant pecking noise on my window, but I couldn't do anything about it. I gently moved my leg into a comfortable position and looked back at the window. The sparrow was gone. I smiled, closed my eyes, sighed, and rested my head back on the pillow to go back to sleep. Once my head reached my pillow, I tried going to sleep, but I had a feeling that something, or someone, was watching me. I heard a chirp. I quickly opened my eyes to see the sparrow in front of my face, staring at me. I nearly screamed. I quickly sat up and the sparrow hopped off me and beside my uninjured leg (my right leg). The sparrow tilted its head a few times, then hopped a bit closer to me and brushed its head on my hand that was resting on my blankets. "How did you get in here?" I whispered to the sparrow, not expecting an answer since it can't talk.

The sparrow stopped brushing its head on my hand and looked straight at me, as if it understood what I asked. It started chirping, but it sounded like a pattern. Is the sparrow using morse code, I asked myself. No, it can't, it's just a sparrow. What if it is? I looked at my window, then back at the sparrow. "Chirp once if you're using morse code, twice if you understand me, or three times if both." I told the sparrow. The sparrow chirped three times. I paused for a few seconds to process what I was learning. "I don't understand morse code, is there another way for you to communicate with me?" I asked, looking at the sparrow. The sparrow stared at me, as if it was waiting for me to continue speaking. "Chirp once if yes, twice if no." I added on. The sparrow chirped once and hopped off my bed.

The sparrow flew up my bookshelf and hopped on the shelf, disappearing from my sight of view. The purple book fell down and hit my fluffy, brown, bear shaped rug on my floor, softening the fall. The sparrow hopped out of my shelf, jumped down and landed on top of the purple book. The sparrow chirped two times while turning its head to look at me. "Huh?" I was confused. How was that book supposed to help us communicate with each other? I wondered. The sparrow stared at me for a few seconds, then at my injured leg, and lastly at the book it was standing on top of. The sparrow tilted its head left, then right, then hopped off the book and started pushing the book off the rug with its head. I couldn't see the sparrow anymore. I leaned forward and the book nearly hit my face. "What the-" I said while catching the book. I heard the sparrow chirp, so I looked away from the book and down at the sparrow. The sparrow tilted its head, motioning to an empty space beside it.

I gently placed the book to where the sparrow was motioning to, and watched carefully to see what would happen next. The sparrow flipped the front cover of the book with its head, revealing some empty pages. Where did the words go? I wondered. It's probably not the same page. I told myself. The sparrow lifted its foot off my blankets and placed it on the first blank page of the book. Black ink started to swirl out from underneath the sparrow's foot, and onto the page. The ink started to form into words.

Hello, my name is Zeltron, and I am a shapeshifter.

Shapeshifter? How could a sparrow be a shapeshifter? I wondered. "How are you a shapeshifter?" I asked in a whisper. Zeltron chirped a few times before creating more words on the page.