~Chapter 23~ ~Kai's house~

It took us about thirty minutes to get to Kai's house. Kai's grandma told me that Kayla was asleep, and that I would be sleeping in the guest room for now. Kai led me to the guest room, and allowed me to borrow a pair of his pyjamas. All of the rooms in Kai's house were really big, and there were a lot of rooms. Kai said he'd give me a tour in the morning after breakfast, then said goodnight, and left the guest room. I was so tired, but couldn't sleep. All I could think about was my parents, and some questions that were swarming my brain. Did somebody kill them? What caused the house to catch on fire? When will the funeral be held? Is this on the news? Does everyone at school know? I looked over at the analog clock above the window. It was five twenty three in the morning.

I lazily covered my eyes with my right arm. I need to go to sleep, it's what they would've wanted. I closed my eyes, trying my hardest to go to sleep, or at least rest for a bit. I still couldn't sleep, and this struggle reminded me of how I would have trouble sleeping before I met Hunter. Maybe I should just look at the damages on the purple book, I thought to myself. Oh wait, Kai still has it with him. I sighed. I stayed awake the whole night, thinking. I heard birds chirping outside, and I watched as the sunlight illuminated the room. I heard some birds chirping outside. What time is it? I looked over at the clock to see that it was six twenty nine in the morning. I sighed. "Seriously?" I said out loud to myself. There was a bathroom in the guest room, so I walked in it. I literally rolled off the bed, but caught myself before I could hit the ground. I dragged myself to the bathroom and tiredly opened the door. I didn't need to turn on the lights since the sunlight was illuminating the bathroom too. I looked at myself in the mirror to see that my eyes were red from crying, and bags under my eyes. "Woah... I'm hideous." I muttered to myself as I stared in the mirror.

I sighed and twisted the tap. I cupped my hands together under the tap, and splashed some water on my face to wake myself up. I doubt anyone was awake at this time. Once my eyes adjusted, I looked up at the mirror. I saw my parents looking at me. I screamed and fell to the floor with a loud thud. I was hyperventilating, and pulling on my hair as a way to try ignoring my struggle to breathe. I closed my eyes as tears threatened to spill out of my eyes. "Miko, are you-" I heard someone run into the bathroom, and a familiar voice. After a few seconds of silence, I heard footsteps walking towards me, then felt the person hugging me close. "It's gonna be okay, Miko..." I recognised the voice now, it was Kai's. Kai was sitting there beside me, comforting me again. I don't deserve to know anyone like Kai, I thought to myself. "Sorry for waking you." I apologised as I started to calm down. "You didn't wake me." I heard Kai say. I looked up at Kai, confused, while wiping some of my tears away. "I was reading for the whole night since I couldn't sleep, then I heard a thud and you screaming, so I came to check what was going on." Kai explained. "Why'd you scream though?" he asked. I looked over at the mirror. "I swear I saw my parents in that mirror..." I muttered. Kai looked up at the mirror and sighed. Kai looked down at the floor, and looked like he was contemplating on what to say. "When my dad died, I wasn't able to look at myself in the mirror since we looked alike. Not our eyes though, our eyes are different. One time, I looked in the mirror a few days after he died. I saw him staring back at me." Kai explained.

There was a few minutes of silence. "Do you think it has to do with the mirror?" I asked, breaking the silence. "Maybe, but it could just be in our heads. I mean... we miss them." Kai said. I nodded. "Did I wake anyone else up?" I asked. "I don't think so, Kayla is a heavy sleeper, and my grandma would've probably came running in here too when you screamed." Kai said. "Kai... were you reading from the purple book?" I asked. "Yeah, I just wanted to see if the words were still readable." I looked over at Kai. "So, you had your wrist carved, didn't you?" I asked. Kai's eyes widened in surprise. "How do you-" I interrupted Kai. "The only way to be able to read the book, is if someone that carved their wrist touches it." I said. Kai pulled up his shirt sleeve, revealing a medical kit carved onto his wrist. "Did it hurt?" I asked as I stared at Kai's carved wrist. "No, a special knife is used which causes the person that's having their wrist carved, to feel no pain." Kai explained. I let out a sigh of relief. "That's good. Do you have to go to Alor Village for that?" I asked. Kai nodded. "It's so pretty there. My grandma told me that she's thinking of taking you there to help figure out what your powers are." Kai excitedly said.

My eyes widened. "Is she still going to help me today?" I asked. "I think so, she says that emotion is a good way to figure out what your powers are," he said. "Wanna watch a movie in my room?" Kai asked. "There's a TV there," he added. I nodded. "Wait, a TV? First, your house is huge with loads of things that look expensive, and now you're telling me, you have a TV in your room?" I was amazed. "There's a TV in all the bedrooms. There's a remote that you need to use for the TV's to unfold from the ceiling." Kai explained. "Woah, you're rich." I stated. Kai laughed a little. "So, are we gonna watch that movie or not?" he asked as he stood up from his spot on the floor. "We are, now lead the way." I said while standing up and following Kai to his room. Kai led me to his room, and opened the door. Kai had LED lights in his room, a microscope on a desk with a laptop beside it. There were orbs that were connected to strings on the ceiling, the orbs looked like the planets, and there was a bigger orb in the middle that looked like the sun. The orbs were hung above Kai's bed. There was also a telescope that looked similar to the one I had near Kai's window. "Woah... your room looks amazing." I said in amazement. Kai nodded and walked past me. He walked over to his desk and grabbed a remote. He clicked a button, and a TV started unfolding from the ceiling. "So, movie time?" Kai asked. "Movie time." I said as I sat down beside Kai on his bed while we picked a movie to watch.