24 - The Unknown

Ransom and I made it home from dinner with Linda and Richard and were met with a sick Oliver ruining mine and Ransoms fun plans.

"I'm sorry I didn't want to call and ruin dinner." Marta said and I shook my head.

"It's fine. Thank you, Marta." I said and she smiled. I walked up to Oliver's room as I took off my heels. Once I got in the room Dash's head perked up from where he was laying on the floor. I noticed Oliver was asleep and Ransom came up behind me placing a hand on my hip.

"He's asleep and I don't want to take a chance of waking him, but I want to check on him." I whispered and Ransom half nodded.

"Let him sleep." Ransom whispered in my ear, and I nodded shutting the door. Ransom and I were walking back to the bedroom hand in hand when we heard a knock on the front door.

"You have got to be kidding me..." Ransom growled. I headed down the stairs and opened the front door, shocked to see her.

"Linda?!"

"Funny Wils, say it's my ...- MOM?!" Ransom said coming down the stairs.

"Sorry to intrude after I told you both to come home but Richard is still at our place. He is packing and I don't want to be there." Linda said and I moved aside welcoming her inside.

"Come in, you can stay in the guest room down here for as long as you need." I said.

"Richard will be out tomorrow. The police will make sure of that." Linda said and I smiled, and Ransom nodded.

"Well as long as you need just to be away from the fucker." Ransom growled.

"Ransom..." I said and he shook his head.

"I get hating him Ransom but you seem to have even more hate than me and he cheated on me. What's going on?" Linda asked.

Before Ransom could answer we heard a little, sick voice.

"Dad?" Oliver called from the top of the steps. He just kissed my cheek and rushed upstairs. I sighed and looked at Linda.

"Let's go get you set up." I said and we walked to the downstairs room.

"You want to explain to me my sons' attitude?" Linda asked and I sighed.

"I guess one time Oliver was over with you and Richard Oliver overheard Richard calling Ransom and I a clusterfuck, saying we weren't going to make it together or have a future. As well as Richard just being who he is." I said and Linda groaned.

"I'm sorry Willa, I didn't know he put you both through so much." Linda said and I shrugged.

"Honestly, I let it roll off. I considered the source and just let it go. Ransom and I...we'll make it this time." I said sounding unsure. Linda just looked at me.

"Can you say that trying to sound a little more convincing?" Linda asked and I sighed.

"Can I be honest with you about something?" I asked Linda and she nodded as we sat on the edge of the bed.

"What's going on Willa?"

"Do you think Ransom will ever settle down? Get married, want more kids...any of it?" I asked and Linda sighed.

"Can I tell you something?" Linda asked and I nodded. "After Oliver was born, when you and Ransom tried living together. Ransom came to me right after you left, he was broken. He wanted it to work with you, he wanted the picture-perfect family with you. He knows he screwed up, he just didn't know how to make it right knowing you wouldn't believe him with anything. In the past few years, I have seen a change in him with Oliver and even you. As far as Ransom getting married and having more kids...I mean he hasn't seen the best track records of marriages, the only one was my dad. Him and my mom seemed like the fairytale storybook. As far as Ransom at one point wanting the picture-perfect family, I don't know how he feels anymore. He loves you, there is no denying that and he would take a bullet for you and Oliver. As far as marriage and a family...I don't know." Linda said and I just hung my head.

"That was my fear..." I trailed off. I was holding tears at bay, and I just needed to get out of this room. "Well, you know where everything is, make yourself at home. Good night." I said getting up, giving Linda a weak smile and walking out of the room.

I looked at the stairs and sighed. I turned the opposite direction and headed into the library, up the spiral staircase, to the big armchair the was up there. I tucked my legs under me and grabbed the small blanket from the back of the chair and covered up as I overlooked the library.

Ransom didn't want a future with me, well he did but not the way I wanted a future. I wanted marriage, more kids, family, stability...all of it. Now all I had was a man who, yes loved me, but possibly didn't want anything more.

I knew I needed to talk to Ransom about this and I knew I couldn't take Linda at her word, but I didn't know how to even broach the subject anymore. I just sighed and leaned my head back on the chair.

"MOMMY!" I heard Oliver yelling and I lifted my head from the back of the chair, and I looked around noticing it was morning by the sun coming in the windows proving everyone was awake.

"WILLA!" I then heard Ransom yell and I sighed getting up from the chair and stretching. I sighed and folded the blanket. As I walked down the stairs Ransom and Oliver came walking in the library and saw me.

"Mommy!" Oliver said running at me and jumping into my arms, hugging me tightly.

"Het little man, how are you feeling?" I asked.

"Much better." He said and I smiled.

"Did you sleep in here last night?" Ransom asked seeing me once I put Oliver down.

"Yeah, sorry. I came in after I got your mom settled and must have dozed off in the chair." I said and Ransom just half nodded.

"Oh, I was worried. I mean to be honest I didn't know if you came to bed because I fell asleep with Ollie." Ransom said and I half nodded.

"So, our bed didn't get used at all." I chuckled and Ransom smiled shaking his head. I looked at the clock on the wall.

"Shit, I have to get ready for work. Um...you have him covered today?" I asked and he nodded. I kissed Ollie's cheek. I went to just walk past Ransom, but he gently grabbed my hand and pulled me close to him.

"We okay?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, we're fine." I said putting on a smile. He leaned down and placed his lips gently on mine, giving me a small kiss. As we broke apart, he moved so he could whisper in my ear.

"We never got to have the night we planned last night...maybe tonight?" Ransom asked and I smiled again.

"Maybe, I might be working late tonight. I have somethings I really need to get done." I said, giving him another small kiss and leaving the library before more tears could fall yet again...