XIII | red carpet, it's a show

Prom week was officially here, and boy was the city in an uproar

Prom week was officially here, and boy was the city in an uproar. Everybody was waiting for the best and last school to shut the city down. Kentwood had a reputation for everything. They had the best cheerleading team, the best basketball team, and the best football team. Their reputation was stellar because of the state grade and rating they received every year. Kentwood High was really that school. The school that everybody wanted to go to.

It was only Monday, yet everybody was in a frenzy. Karmine was currently in the library, going through every check list that she had. She had the list of students in her sights, and she was going down the list, making sure that those who were eligible to attend received their invitation and confirmed their invite. It was going to be a total of three hundred and twenty-five students in attendance, including their dates. Friday night was definitely going to be a movie, and Karson was definitely pulling out all the stops. He had extra security on payroll, along with a camera crew. Karson knew that this was the only prom his daughter was attending, so he was going to make the best of it, which meant he was pulling out all the stops to make the night memorable.

Grabbing the box of tickets, she cracked it open and began counting them. She had to make sure she had enough before pick-up on Thursday. But she went ahead and decided to place another order at Staples for an extra two hundred. They had extra spending money, so that's what she was going to do—spend it. She even used some of the money for the surprise photo booth.

"Karmine!" Her name was being shouted as she exited the library. She stopped walking and looked over her shoulder, smiling as Alexia jogged her way.

"Wassup, Pooh?" Kar gave her a side hug and stepped back. Since she's been so busy with working and making sure prom went off without a hitch, she hasn't seen much of her friend lately besides the class and lunch period they share together.

"I'm surprised I caught you. Mrs. Watson has been working you, girl."

They shared a laugh and agreed. Mrs. Watson has definitely been working her, but that's because she knew Kar was the right person for the job. She was gonna get everything done with no half-assing during the process.

"Man! Tell me about it, but I honestly like it. I'm barely in class with no work to do. It was honestly a win-win. People who don't like me or the ones that have bullied me have to listen to me. I feel like a villain who finally got their time to shine." Kar smirked mischievously, making Alexia laugh at her antics.

"I'm not finna play with you. But when are you going to get your nails and stuff done?"

"Thursday night, because that's the last day I'm sewing hair. All I have to do Friday morning is style everybody. I only have ten heads to do because I wasn't trying to be doing hair all morning when I gotta get ready for prom as well." Karmine expressed as she weaved in and out of the foot traffic. She wasn't trying to bump into anybody and end up on the floor. So to save herself the embarrassment, she eased through the sea of students until she made it outside.