𝟔 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐭𝐨 𝐃𝐫𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐤

Saera had not slept for the second night in a row, her mind now clouded with thoughts of Jace and also the haunting words that Helaena had told her in the dark. She laid awake, trying to decipher Helaena's words, her own dragon dream, and what this horrible creeping anxiety slowly taking over her was. She had a feeling something bad was going to happen, and the following morning after short intervals of sleeping and waking, she felt no different.

Refusing to relieve his physical frustration had led to an equally restless night for Jace, his mind twisting and turning, creating unwanted thoughts about Saera and the moment they had shared inside the dragon pit. It was like his brain was trying to torture and taunt him. Maybe she is a witch and she has cursed me, he had thought, staring at the ceiling with a glare on his face. Sleep eventually found the vexed boy, who reluctantly slipped away for a few hours until the sun rose.

The large oaken table that had been used for the feast still sat inside the throne room, sunlight now pouring in through the large stained glass windows. On the table sat silver and gold platters of food; bread, cheese, pastries, fruit, bacon, sausages. Breakfast truly fit for any royal family.

As Jace, Rhaenyra, Luke and Daemon approached the already busy table, Jace noted that King Viserys' throne sat empty. Jace guessed his grandfather had weaker, succumbing to the mysterious illness that kept him mainly confined to his bed chambers. Jace noticed Alicent and Otto sitting beside Aegon, Helaena and Aemond. Beside Aemond, sat Saera.

Jace sat down across from her, beside Luke. He glanced in her direction, expecting her usual glare or growl, but he didn't get one. She was sitting with her face leaning on her hand to keep her head up, her dark circles more noticeable now. Her eyes fluttered open and closed, the girl fighting to keep herself awake and not appear rude.

"Are you feeling okay, my lady?" Luke asked from beside Jace while grabbing some of the sausages and bacon from the table onto his plate. Saera's eyes blinked a few times as she sat up straighter, now noticing the two dark-haired boys that sat across from her.

"I'm sure she's just tired after being kept up all night by Aemond," Aegon spoke his vulgar words with a grin. Saera shot Aegon a glare, Aemond raising an eyebrow at his brother. Jace felt his expression darken, his fingers tapping roughly on the wooden table as he shot Aegon an annoyed glance.

"We are not married yet, brother." Aemond retorted, unimpressed at Aegon's remark.

"That wouldn't stop me," Aegon responded, his gaze then lustfully moving to Saera who rolled her eyes. Helaena sadly picked at her food, used to Aegon making remarks like this about many women. Jace didn't like the way Aegon was looking at Saera.

"Not being married may not stop you, Aegon. But I'm sure Saera's daggers would," Jace replied, irritated by Aegon's blatant disrespect. Saera was surprised at Jace's words. Aemond's gaze moved to Jace, studying him with a calculating but unreadable expression on his face. Had he just defended her? Jace's foul look shifted over to the taller but younger brother, still angry at Aemond for how he had chased him down on Vhagar.

"Nothing like a nice relaxing breakfast with the family," Luke commented to no one in particular, growing sick and tired of the bickering and squabbling that his older relatives had not ceased to partake in ever since he and Jace had arrived.

"You flew well yesterday, Jacaerys..." Aemond spoke quietly, his voice calm and his gaze intense. I wouldn't be sitting here if I hadn't, Jace thought to himself, continuing to glower at Aemond.

"I'm glad you and my fiancée were able to spend some time together alone. Perhaps, you both could work towards sorting out your differences." Aemond continued, Jace feeling the hatred and annoyance through Aemond's coolly delivered statement. Jace could tell Aemond was angry at him for spending time alone with Saera, seeming to notice that all of her attention had been on Jace since the moment he had arrived.