𝟐𝟏 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭

The blacks flew out across the sea in a regimented formation. In the centre, Daemon rode Caraxes The Blood Wyrm. To Daemons right, was Jace's mother Rhaenyra, riding the golden Syrax, the spoiled queen. To Daemon's left, Rhaenys rode Meleys, the red queen. Jace rode Vermax, his green dragon the furthest to the right. Baela rode Moondancer to the left of Meleys, the five dragons flying over the Velaryon ships that sat below.

Jace's heart was pounding in his chest as Daemon pushed Caraxes higher into the air, the rest of the formation following the white-haired man's lead and flying higher, leaving the sea far below. The air was cold, and the sunrise ahead was glowing brightly, hurting Jace's eyes.

The wind blew through his brown locks, pushing them away from his face as he leaned forwards, gazing at the approaching Baratheon fleet. His grey eyes scanned the ships, decorated with yellow sails stamped with large black stag sigils. There were many ships, but no sign of any dragons approaching with them. Anxiety was flooding through him, the boy continuing to scan the skies ahead for any nearby dragons.

Then, he caught sight of movement ahead, watching in horror as the immense Vhagar broke through the clouds. The huge and ancient dragon passed over the Baratheon ships, ancient wings flapping and pushing the terrifying creature forwards at an incredible speed. The dragon caught sight of her five adversaries, letting out a powerful roar as she approached the blacks that were still in formation. Aemond.

Jace gritted his teeth, continuing to fly with his family towards the encroaching monster. He caught sight of Aemond atop the beast, a wicked grin on his sadistic face and the blue shining sapphire glowing in the sunlight. However, as everyone pushed their way towards Vhagar, Jace noted that Dreamfyre and Sunfyre were nowhere to be seen.

Rhaenyra was to his left, Jace the furthest right of the formation. At his unguarded side, he saw a flash of movement, the glint of shimmering scales in the sunlight. He turned his head, gazing to the right and noticing Aegon riding Sunfyre straight towards him, dark look on the white haired boy's face. Helaena was approaching Baela from the left, the Targaryen siblings ambushing the blacks from the sides while Vhagar held their attention in front.

"Break!" Jace yelled out to warn the rest of his family, swooping down to avoid Sunfyre's sharp teeth, Rhaenyra pulling up higher into the air to avoid the golden and pink dragon ridden by her traitor brother.

Baela avoided the pale blue dragon that had approached her from the left by swooping sharply out of Helaena's way, Meleys letting out a roar at Dreamfyre who then avoided a bite from the red queen.

Jace was relieved to note that Saera did not appear to be part of the attack, until he looked up. A flash of silver scales dropped from far above the group, shooting down through the thin pale pink clouds and passing by Daemon, who narrowly avoided the incredibly fast aerial attack. Jace's brows furrowed, blood running cold as she past beneath them and swooped back up, her blue eyes catching his as she avoided an attack hurled by Syrax. No, Jace thought, his expression one of defeat. She was fighting against them.

The girl he loved looked beautiful, her long white hair blowing in the wind, the girl adoring her pale silver and white armour, a silver dragon sigil on the chest plate. Her delicate features were furrowed in concentration, until she caught sight of him. Jace's breath hitched in his throat, the boy no longer thinking about the battle that was going on around him and looking at her. Only her. Everything slowed, his heart swelling in his chest.

Saera's expression softened, brows furrowing and lips parting slightly as she caught sight of him. The white haired girl felt her lip tug slightly into a small smile, overjoyed to finally see him again. If only he knew everything she had been through since they had been separated from one another.