~ 𝐄𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 ~

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐔𝐍𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐋

His mother, the princess Rhaenys and Saera all had their own dedicated funeral pyres which consisted of beds of wooden sticks. Saera's body was the only one recovered, so she was the only one laying atop her pyre. Jace's teary grey eyes examined the unmoving body of the girl he loved, approaching her funeral pyre leaving everyone else standing paces behind him. As he grew closer to Saera, he looked at her beautiful face, soft and angelic features relaxed, large eyes closed. The soft white gown that she had been dressed in matched her pale long locks of hair that was splayed out along the wood beneath her. Her small hands had been placed clasping her remaining valyrian silver dagger to her chest.

Jace felt his heart break all over again at the sight of her, hot salty tears pouring down his cheeks as he tried to hold himself together. He leaned down, once again planting a kiss on her forehead, the act serving as a final goodbye to her.

"Wait for me, okay?" He mumbled quietly, using his sleeve to wipe some of his tears away and sniffing. His jaw tightened as he forced himself away from her pyre and back towards a tearful Baela and Rhaena, their thoughts still bent on seeing their grandmother be plunged into the sea below. Daemon placed a supportive hand on Jace's shoulder as Jace turned to face the funeral pyres once again.

"On this day we lie to rest Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen of Dragonstone, who was 6 and 30, a beloved wife and mother." The maester yelled out, gesturing to the first funeral pyre which was decorated in Rhaenyra's golden jewellery and one of her velvet red gowns.

"We also bid farewell to Princess Rhaenys Targaryen of Driftmark, who was 3 and 50, a beloved wife, mother and grandmother." The maester moved to the next pyre. Jace clenched his jaw when he then moved to the last, standing ahead of Saera's small form which lay limp atop the logs and wood.

"And finally we lie to rest Lady Saera Arryn of the Vale, who was 7 and 10, a beloved daughter and sister." He said, before stepping out of the way.

Vermax stood behind the pyres, awaiting Jace's orders. Jace parted his lips, about to speak the word that everyone was waiting for. It got stuck in his throat, the boy swallowing roughly and taking one last look at Saera, pain shooting through him.

"Dracarys!" Jace ordered, Vermax letting out a small sad roar, approaching the pyres and opening his jaws. The green dragon began to breathe fire, Jace watching with glassy eyes as all three of the wooden piles caught alight almost instantly, starting to burn with bright orange flames. Jace watched, struggling to breathe as Saera was engulfed in the flames, disappearing from his sight.

•••

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐑𝐎𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

Jace had listened to Daemon's council, both Targaryens enraged and furious after the deaths of the ones they had loved. King's Landing fell easily with Caraxes, Vermax and Moondancer. The support of the Arryn army had helped after Saera's father learned of her death. Aegon and Helaena swiftly gave up, refusing to mount their dragons and fight a battle they knew was already a loss. Jace was the rightful heir to the throne, and there was no one left with enough power to contest it.

"All hail his grace, King Jacaerys Targaryen, first of his name, King of the Andals and the Roynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm!" Jace turned to face the people of King's Landing. Daemon and Baela stood by his sides, Jace wearing his black and red armour, a red cape trailing down his back. On his head sat Rhaenyra and Viserys' golden crown.

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐖𝐞 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐁𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐓𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 ➵ 𝓙𝓪𝓬𝓪𝓮𝓻𝔂𝓼 𝓥𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓸𝓷 🎉