𝟕 | 𝐂𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐥

Seeing Vaemond's head split in two should've been all Jace could think about, instead it was the fact that he was now promised to his cousin. He liked Baela, she was fierce like Daemon but soft-hearted like Laena, a keen dragon rider and a good friend. It had been several hours of greeting Princess Rhaenys and her daughters, and his mind was still a jumbled mess. He felt more confused and conflicted now, than he had ever felt in his life.

Jace sighed, begrudgingly marching down the hallway towards his chambers. He was in need of a rest after such a strange and horrific start to his day, noticing the sun was starting to set outside. He pushed the heavy wooden door open, and letting it close behind him. When he entered his room, he was shocked as he looked at his bed.

Saera lay, sleeping soundly on his sheets, wearing a dress now as opposed to her training gear she had been wearing during the trial. He moved closer to the sleeping girl, looking around the room and wondering what on earth she was doing. As he approached her he heard her snoring softly, in a deep and peaceful sleep. Jace looked down at her, noticing her features were soft and relaxed, long lashes pressed against her cheeks and her rosey lips slightly parted. She looked unbelievably cute, Jace feeling a smile tug at his lips.

"Saera," he whispered, shaking her arm gently in an effort to wake her. She let out a groan and pushed his hand from her, curling further into his bed. He looked at her with an exasperated expression, not knowing what to do. "Saera," he repeated, shaking her harder now.

"Hobrenka..." (fucking idiot) she mumbled sleepily as Jace continued, trying not to admit to himself that seeing her so vulnerable and harmless looking was incredibly endearing.

"Saera," he said, forcing his voice to sound firm as she finally blinked her eyes open. She hissed and pushed herself up, rubbing her eyes. Her dark circles had faded considerably after what he had guessed must have been a few hours of sleep. She looked around and then at Jace, scowling at him grumpily.

"What are you doing in my room?" She snapped at him angrily, Jace raising an eyebrow at her. He gave her time to adjust to her surroundings, the girl noticing that it was in fact not her room.

"Oh," she mumbled, looking at him slightly apologetically. "I forgot. I came here to talk to you." She remembered what she had been intending to do.

"You came here to talk to me and when I didn't show up, you fell asleep?" He questioned her, sitting down on the bed next to her and chuckling slightly at her antics.

"Yes but you never showed up and I had such a terrible sleep last night..." she began to explain, fixing her smooth hair which had been disheveled after her long sleep. As did I, Jace thought, remembering all the things that filled his mind while he had tossed and turned. "I must've dozed off while I waited on you to get back." She continued to blink, trying to wake up properly for him now.

"What was it you were planning on saying? How much you want me dead?" Jace asked sarcastically. "No, no, far too obvious. You probably came to say you want me dead in a snarky, sarcastic and admittedly clever way so you can shoot me an aggravating smirk and irritate me to the point of retaliation?" Jace questioned her and she glared at him, now sitting beside him on the edge of the bed.

"No, though that does sound tempting." She admitted. "I wanted to talk to you after I heard at the trial that you are now promised to Baela." Saera told him, Jace clenching his jaw as she repeated the news that had been tormenting him. Saera noticed that Jace didn't look happy at her bringing it up. She didn't care, she knew what she had to say to him.

"I wanted to say that I think that it's a good thing-" she began, Jace scowling at her.

"So you think my marriage to someone who I myself would never have chosen is a good thing?" He questioned sharply, Saera surprised at his annoyance. She glared at his immediate irritation.