𝟐𝟐 | 𝐈 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐖𝐚𝐢𝐭 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐘𝐨𝐮

Saera looked down at the large black crossbow bolt that was wedged deeply into her stomach, protruding out from the tear in her armour as the black and yellow feathers on the hilt blew around in the whipping winds. Her eyes went wide, the girl wrapping her hand around it and could clutching it tightly, feeling the slow creeping agony start to wash over her.

It was then she realised that this was what Helaena had warned her about: this was the price that she had to pay to change fate and save Jace's life.

"No!" Jace screamed, his eyes wide and expression one of complete and utter horror as he looked at the bolt she had blocked from hitting him and then back up to her eyes. Saera hissed in pain as she tugged the bolt free and dropped it, the blood soaked jagged piece of wood falling down to the sea far below. Saera instantly slammed one of her hands over the wound to try and stifle any bleeding, feeling the warm thick blood start to coat her fingers.

Jace hovered beside her on Vermax, trying not to let the terror that had filled him drive him to madness at the sight of her injury. He then looked at the Tooth Rock, protruding from the sea nearby. It was a large rock structure that was black, just like the stoney volcanic ground on Dragonstone. He knew that if Saera landed there, he could carry her back on Vermax to Dragonstone in a few minutes or less.

"Saera! Land and I will take you to get help!" Jace commanded, roar tearing from his throat as he pointed at the rock. Saera looked at him, the slow pain starting to creep up from her wound as she realised how serious it was. She forced a nod, using one hand to still grip onto Thunderbolt, the silver dragon flying towards a ledge on the large black jagged rock and landing. She could hear the flaps of Vermax's wings, Jace following closely behind her.

Jace tried not to panic as he landed Vermax beside Thunderbolt, and slid off his dragon saddle. Saera tried to climb off Thunderbolt on her own, but when her feet hit the ground they gave out, Saera baffled as she felt like she had no strength left in her lower half. Jace reached her before she could fall, catching her and helping her regain her balance by placing his hands firmly on her waist. He looked down at where she was clutching her side, his stomach twisting when he noticed the dark red blood that was seeping and dripping through the gaps on her fingers.

Jace then lifted her up, Saera letting out a small cry of pain as he did, still holding her wound as she slid the other arm around his neck. He looked down at the wound and then Saera, heart burning with an anguished expression on his face.

"How could you be so stupid?" He asked her, his voice husky with emotion and anger. The first words he had said to her after she had saved his life - full of annoyance and frustration. She chuckled weakly at his reaction, her blue eyes meeting his grey ones as a small smile pushed onto her face.

"How could I be so stupid?" She questioned him, brow furrowing as more pain shot through her, Jace walking up Vermax's wing. Jace sat down, his arms still cradling Saera in a bridal hold. "You're the one who wasn't paying attention." She retorted, but her remark which would have sounded snide, only sounded breathless now.

"Naejot Zaldrīzesdōron, Vermax!" (To Dragonstone, Vermax!) Jace commanded, guilt surging through him as he thought about what Saera had said. She was right - this was his fault. Vermax pushed off the rock and up into the air, flying close to the sea and in the opposite direction of the fiery conflict. Thunderbolt let out a loud pained roar, watching Jace fly off with her rider. The silver dragon pushed herself into the air, following after them.

Saera looked up at Jace, the boy holding her tightly, his eyes dark and traumatized, all of his focus now on getting her back to the maesters on Dragonstone. She grinned weakly at his concentrated and terrified expression, reaching the hand that was not pressed against her wound to his face.