Chapter 33

Celestine's POV:

Thirty days had passed in a blur. I was healed, physically and emotionally. I was stronger now, more resilient.

One morning, I woke up feeling refreshed and energized. I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to get ready for the day. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and smiled. I was finally starting to feel like myself again.

As for Ensley, She had been my rock throughout this ordeal, her unwavering support a lifeline in the storm. She had taken me to the hospital, stayed by my side through the police investigation, and now, she was back in my life, a constant source of comfort and joy.

But I also knew that I wasn't ready to take the next step. I was still healing, still finding my footing on shaky ground. I didn't want to rush into anything, to risk falling apart again.

Ensley understood, her love for me as patient as the ocean tides. She respected my decision, her support unwavering. We had a mutual understanding, a silent agreement that our time would come.

I dressed in my favorite outfit, a pair of jeans and a loose-fitting top, and headed to the kitchen, eager to start the day. As I stepped into the room, I was greeted by the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and the sight of Ensley standing by the counter, a smile lighting up her face.

"Good morning," she said, her voice as warm and inviting as the sunbeam streaming through the window.

"Good morning," I replied, returning her smile. "You're here early."

Ensley poured me a cup of coffee and handed it to me. "I brought breakfast," she said. "I hope you like it."

I took a sip of my coffee and savored the rich, aromatic flavor. It was the perfect way to start the day.

I sat in front of Ensley and watched as she took out bagels and croissants from the brown paper bag she brought.

"So..." Ensley glanced at me, "ready for today?" She asked, handing me a bagel.

"Thank you." I said, reaching for it. Taking my time to think about her question.

"Honestly? I feel terrified." I sighed, taking a bite of my bagel. It was delicious, but I could barely taste it. My stomach was churning with anxiety.

"I don't blame you," Ensley said, her voice filled with understanding. "This is a big step."

I took a deep breath and tried to calm my nerves. I knew that I needed to face Micah, to hear his apology, to finally put this whole thing behind me.

"Yeah but I have to do this." I said, "for both our sakes."

Micah despite what happened had been my partner for so many years and my friend before all that so he deserves to have the chance to apologize.

"You want me to come with?" Ensley asked, sipping on her own coffee.

I smiled at her and shook my head, "No Ens, I have to do this on my own."

Ensley stared at me for a few minutes and then shrugged, "all right then, I'll clean up here and drop you off."

"Okay." I replied, walking over to kiss her cheek.

"Thank you."

"Of course Ce."

...

I arrived at the cafe and found a table near the window. I ordered us some coffee and then I sat there in silence, waiting for Micah to arrive.

A few minutes later, Micah walked into the cafe. He looked different, thinner and paler, with dark circles under his eyes. He spotted me and made his way over to our table.