Chapter 34

A few days later...

Ensley's POV:

I stepped out of the studio, the weight of the day's work slumping from my shoulders. I corssed the street towards the park, looking to take a breather before I go home. As I strolled along the winding paths, bordered by vibrant flowers and lush greenery, I felt a sense of calm wash over me.

The gentle breeze rustled through the leaves, creating a symphony of soothing sounds that eased the tension from my shoulders. The warm sunlight dappled through the branches, casting dancing shadows that played across the ground.

Lost in the serenity of the moment, I failed to notice the figure approaching from the opposite direction. Suddenly, I collided with someone, the impact sending me stumbling backward.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed, my cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

I looked up and saw that it was Micah. My heart sank. I didn't want to see him, especially not after what he had done to Celestine.

"Micah," I said, trying to sound calm.

"Ensley," he replied. "Hey...Can we talk?"

I hesitated for a moment. I didn't want to hear what he had to say, but I also didn't want to be rude.

"Fine," I said. "But make it quick."

We found a nearby bench and sat down. Micah looked down at his hands for a moment before speaking.

"I'm so sorry for what I did to Celestine," he said. "I was wrong, and I regret it more than you could ever know."

I didn't know what to say. I wanted to believe him, but I can't just forget what he did, I can't forget the look on Celestine's face when she came to me, tears streaming down her cheeks, whole body shivering and bruised.

"Why did you do it, Micah?" I asked.

"I was jealous," he admitted. "I was jealous of your relationship with Celestine. I thought you were taking her away from me. I was blinded by my love for her."

"You don't own Celestine, Micah," I said. "She's her own person, and she can choose who she wants to be with."

Micah nodded slowly. "I know that now," he said. "I just made a huge mistake."

I looked at him for a long moment, trying to gauge his sincerity. I couldn't tell if he was truly remorseful or if he was just trying to manipulate me.

"I hope you mean that," I said finally.

"I do," he said. "I'm taking anger management classes, and I'm seeing a therapist. I'm trying to become a better person."

I didn't know if I would ever let him near Celestine again, but I decided to give him a chance.

"That's good," I said, "I'm happy for you..really."

I stared at Micah properly for the first time after sitting down, noticing the dark circles under his eyes, the gauntness of his face, and the way his hands shook slightly as he spoke. It was clear that Micah had been deeply affected by his actions and the consequences they had brought upon himself and Celestine.

He looked like a man who had been through a lot, a man who was trying to find his way back to himself.

"I know I don't deserve it," Micah continued, his voice barely a whisper, "but I hope that one day Celestine can forgive me. I've hurt her so badly, and I regret every moment of it."

I sighed deeply and looked ahead. "Just give her time Micah..."

I looked back at him and smiled softly, "She still loves you, you know." Micah's head snapped up at my words, staring at me wide eyed. "It's just different now." I finished.