Chapter 34: Until I Fade Away

You crumpled, being caught by your horrific enemy. He looked like he was about to go insane. Before you could open your mouth or lift your sword to kill him, your head began to ache. It began as a throb, then quickly evolved into a skull–shattering migraine. You couldn't help it. You screamed. You screamed as loud as you could. You released waves of electro energy. The pain was overtaking everything. You could see nothing but violet. It got worse and worse until...

You felt nothing.

Then the real pain began.

How you got your vision.

The titles you had earned.

Those you'd met.

The hardships you'd overcame.

The one you loved.

Everything stopped. You're floating in the abyss. You opened your eyes, being met with tears freely pouring out of indigo pools of emotion.

"You're finally...letting yourself feel," you whispered.

"I can't lose you again...wait. It's you! It's really you!" he seemed to be in disbelief. He grabbed your face, pressing his forehead against yours.

"The seal was broken," you whispered.

You saw a boy with ice–blue hair run into the room. What was his name? Chongyun?

"Xingqiu! Kunikuzushi! The war! It's over! We won!" Xingqiu ran over to the boy, throwing his arms around him and kissing him.

"Kuni, this is really goodbye. Promise me I won't be revived again."

"No! No. You're staying with me. Please. Please." The last word was barely a whisper.

You smiled, then reached up to brush away his tears.

"Live on for me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a small island off the coast of Watatsumi. In the year after the Fatui disappeared, a boy bought the island. The first thing he did was dig a grave. He sat in front of that grave every day.

Next, the boy made himself a hut, and a garden. This way, he could sustain himself and protect himself from the elements.

As the years passed, the boards on the house were repaired, and new stones laid down.

The clothes the boy wore had long eroded away, replaced with thin rags made of woven grasses.

The boy did nothing but bide his time away. When he wasn't working, he was carving things out of wood or stone, or writing poetry.

The boy wrote and carved what he saw on the mainland. How Watatsumi grew bright, then slowly faded of color. Then, the boy could no longer work.

The boy continued on, however, and wrote and carved what he saw on the mainland. How it arose once more as a city with buildings larger than he had ever seen, at night it was as brilliant as it once shone, centuries ago. Then, the boy could no longer carve or write.

The boy drug himself outside, never to move again. He told stories to an eroded grave about what he saw, and how the magic had long since drained from the land. Then, the boy could no longer speak.

One faithful night, when the memories of eons ago came close to the mortal world once more, a woman with calculating eyes strode onto the island. She removed her long, black wig to reveal kitsune ears, and her eyes, a warm brown, glowed a bright violet in the dead of night. She sighed at the state of this place, and kicked away some ancient debris.

"The things I do," she muttered. She noticed a small rock and sensed an energy from the ground below. She dug up the corner of something shining golden, cursing how she might break a nail all the while. A medallion was revealed.

"Oh Kunikuzushi, I should have known..." She crushed the Medallion in her hands and watched the dust scatter to the wind. Then, she chanted three times:

"With centuries passed,
With the gods now turned legend,
May you meet again"

The wind picked up, and Kitsune Guuji Yae smiled, watching the faded stars glimmer in the sky.

"That is my final gift to you, Kunikuzushi."

This is it guys! Also if you don't like the ending stay delusional and write your own in your head. I love you all! (Should I make a reincarnation fic of this eventually? Like a part two? It would probably be a one shot with a sweeter ending but lmk!)