Chapter 28: The Glowing Underground

All was still. The bodies of dozens, Fatui and Abyss Order alike, littered the floor of the cavern.

"Yahoo!" Venti said as he floated down gracefully. Xiao swung his spear into the ground, and Zhongli relaxed his shoulders. Only Kuni was vigilant.

"Was that Childe?" he asked, voice dripping with venom.

"I believe so," the geo archon mused.

"I'm blaming Venti for being too loud and leading him here," Xiao replied.

"W–what?? Xiaoooo you know you love me too much to tell me to shut up, so this is your fault," Venti pouted. Xiao rolled his eyes as Venti pecked him on the cheek.

"Eh–ehhhhh??? Since when have you two been a thing?" you asked, surprised.

"Since a long time ago," Xiao said, his expression rock hard. The only giveaway was a face that was so red you could mistake it for the setting sun. You laughed, winced, then turned to Kuni.

He noticed your miniscule pained movement. The weakness you were trying to hide. Indigo eyes dropped to the hand glued on your abdomen.

"(N/n)," he whispered, voice apprehensive.

You froze.

His smooth, slender hands took yours away from your body. You heard him suck his breath in.

You gave in. You swayed, collapsing against him.

"Guys!" Kuni yelled. Fortuneatly, there was no panic in his voice. Yet. Once the trio rushed over, however, you were overwhelmed. Venti is over here screaming his head off, Xiao is trying to calm him down, and Zhongli is over here talking to the air.

You buried your head in Kuni's chest. You're starting to get a headache, the adrenaline was wearing off, and you felt like shit. But Kuni meant safety, and minimal pain. You started to feel your eyelids go heavy. Your shoulders are being shook. Is someone is telling you to not pass out? You can't make out who it is. You're so tired...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   

You woke up, gasping, as you clutched your abdomen. You're soaking wet. From blood? No. You looked around. Water. Panicked, you checked your wound. Ooh, that's gonna be an ugly scar.

You looked up and saw giant, twisting vines reaching up towards a hole in the ceiling. What the hell is going on?

"You like to get critically injured a lot, don't you?" Kuni asked, smirking. He was carrying a weird looking herb.

"Painkillers," he clarified. You nodded, taking a sprig and chewing it in your mouth slowly.

"Do you want me to explain?" he asked.

"Mhm," you responded, still chewing the bitter plant.

"Zhongli took us to the chasm."

You almost choked. Kuni patted your back, and you swallowed the herb.

"How long was I out?" you asked worridly, "How did I not...you know. In all that time?"

"We took the teleport waypoints."

"Those things still work?"

"Apparently. I used them once before."

No other details about the waypoints. Great.

"And...what am I doing in a pool of water?" you asked, gesturing to your soaking wet clothes.

"Ah. I think I can explain," Zhongli said, walking in. He had his reminiscing voice. Oh no.