Chapter 23: The Apology Well Overdue

The Raiden Shogun steps towards you, followed by Yae Miko who came out of nowhere. With each step they take, Kuni inches further behind you. You offer your hand and he accepts it, so you give it a reassuring squeeze.

"Where did all these people come from?" Paimon huffs, appearing out of nowhere (again).

"Hello, Raiden Shogun," Kokomi says from behind you.

"WAA where did you come from?" Paimon squeals.

"It's okay, Paimon. You're just blind," Aether offers. This caused the little floaty–whatever–she–is to pout and stomp her tiny foot.

You turn my attention back to the important moment: Kokomi vs .... Wait is it Ei or the Shogun right now?

"Greetings, Miss Sangonomiya. But please, call me Ei," the Archon states.

Well that was easy.

"I take it that you would like to negotiate terms?" Yae Miko asks. Kokomi nods, and the two went away.

Now Ei turns to your group.

"It is time I say some words to you four," she says.

There's no emotion to it, and you are slightly terrified.

"(Y/n), I'll start with you," she says.

"Y–yes ma'am?"

"You are by far the stupidest human I've ever met."

"...oh."

"But, you uphold your values well, and I can't think of someone worthier to possess that vision."

An emotion blooms in your heart. Was that pride? You had never been complimented like that before. It felt...nice.

"Traveler," the Shogun starts.

You notice Aether stand stiffer, and he meets Ei's gaze.

"I take it that you want to find your sister, no?"

"Yes, very much," he replies.

"Alright. I'll see to it that missing person posters are put up. Also, I recommend continuing your search in Sumeru."

The blonde nods.

"Kaedehara Kazuha..." the Shogun refuses to meet his gaze. Was that...guilt? Kazuha glares at her with a kind a malice you didn't believe could come from such a gentle boy.

"I understand that...I killed someone extremely close to you, and I must apologize. I'm sure you hate me, and you have a right to. I'm sure Tomo was like a brother."

"He was more than that..." Kazuha speaks quietly. "He was the love of my life, he meant everything to me. I don't have a place in the world without him by my side..."

"I'm sorry–" Ei tries again, but stops. Kazuha turns to me, Kuni, and Aether.

"I must be going," the rogue says with a sad smile.

"I'll see you at the boat?"

You nod, and say "take care of yourself, Kazuha."

The wind picks up and he disappears in a flash of scarlet leaves.

Kuni takes you hand.

"(N/n), we should go, too," he advises.

You turn to leave, but stop when the Raiden Shogun says, "Kunikuzushi."

You can almost feel his hand go cold.

"What is it?" he snaps. His tone is so icy, so foreign, that you haven't heard it sound like that in over a year and a half.

"...take care of yourself. I'm sorry I pushed you so hard, but I was naive and–" Ei was caught off by Kuni, who was laughing.

"Naive? An archon, naive? No no no, naiveté has nothing to do with this. What you did... and what you still do, it's selfish and cruel. I was like that too, once. I can tell (Y/n) has opened your eyes just as much as they've opened mine, but regardless, I will never forgive you." Without another word, he turned on his heel and strutted away, leaving you rushing after him.

A few hours later, you boarded Beidou's boat. Kazuha was up in the crow's nest sulking, and Aether and Paimon were there, too.

"I'm glad you're here, you two," Beidou said the minute she saw you. You could sense a panic in her voice that she was desperately trying to hide.

"What's wrong?" you immediately pick up on the urgency.

"You might wanna sit down for this one..."