Chapter 9: A Slight Delay

You headed off early in the morning, taking the road Northward to Dihua Marsh. Mostly, it was because you wanted to see the place before you headed back. You found some horsetail and was poking Kuni in the face until he disintegrated it with a small bolt of lightning.

"You're so mean!" you whined.

"You're annoying," he snapped back.

"You've wounded me," you said dramatically, "I don't think I'll ever recover."

"Oh shut up."

You spotted a blonde in the distance, his long braid flowing in the wind. GOD DAYUM it was so fluffy-looking that you were kinda jealous.

Kuni didn't really pay him much attention. After all, you were probably going to pass each other and be on your way. However, this blonde dude—you're sure he was protagonist material—just had to talk to you. Ughhhhh you hate people.

"Hello," he said, then he continued walking. You let out a breath you didn't realize you were holding in, until...

The blonde stopped in his tracks and turned around.

"Stop. Both of you, right now," he said. You stiffened and shared a quick glance with Kuni. While your eyes reflected fear, his showed annoyance.

"Are you...part of the Fatui?" the blonde boy asked. Kunikuzushi smirked. Oh, so the shrimp is taking that route. This should be fun.

"6th and 9th Harbingers, respectively," he said, making sure a shadow was cast over his face.

"This is Scaramouche, I'm Zasha," you stated matter of factly. To be honest, you just wanted to get this over with.

This blonde boy stiffened up, his face hardened, and he pulled out a...dull blade? Welp, this'll be quick you guess.

"I must stop you!" he shouted.

"But we're not doing—oh, whatever, sure," you replied.

You and Kunikuzushi, vs. whoever-this-guy-was

"Psst, Zasha," Kuni whispered.

"What?" you whisper-shouted back.

"That's Aether, you know, the traveler."

Then it dawned on you. Shiiiiiiiiiiii- you saw him at the Rite of Descension!

Anywho, you pulled out your claymore, and Kuni grabbed his hat. Oh, so he was planning to boomerang. Ok then.

Electro vs. wait what's this kid's element?

This kid shot a rock out of the ground, probably as a warning that he wasn't messing around. Great. Geo. Just perfectly peachy-keen.

"Ready to die?" you bluffed, knowing perfectly well you stood no chance against the infamous traveler.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing."

You charged at each other, and you felt the ground tingling. You used the energy to propel yourself forward and—