Chapter 13: Mondstadt and Secrets

You walked out onto the small balcony.

"Reminds you of old times, doesn't it?" you grinned.

"Yeah," Kuni agreed. He shifted you on his back, and the next thing you know, he's carrying you bridal-style. He jumped with the grace of a cat. You felt the adrenaline of being airborne right before his feet landed firmly on the roof.

Once he set you down, Kuni dropped beside you, sitting criss-cross. You leaned against his shoulder.

"It's almost been a year now. I can't believe time flies by so fast." you said.

"Yeah, that's true. Six months of training, and a month of traveling plus four months in Liyue," Scaramouche added. He sighed, and sounded almost sad. "Very soon, we won't be partners. One of us will probably be sent to another region soon, too."

"I don't want to go off by myself!" you complained, throwing yourself backward to lag down and face the sky.

You were silent for a few minutes, then Scaramouche asked, "What was your deal with that floaty-elf? What's her name... Paimon."

You stiffened, thinking about that face from your past. She looked so much like Paimon. You stared at your constellation: Fractum Vincula. You let the memories wash over you before speaking.

"Paimon...reminds me of my old master," you murmured. "She was old, and her white hair was always in a tight bun. She had glittering, black eyes, and a whip was always in hand. She hated me, and it was mostly because I shone brighter than any of her children. I had a vision, and...having a vision and being semi-competent did not turn out well in my life, but you already know most of that story."

"Sorry..." he said.

"For what?" you pretended to be confused as you pushed those nauseous feelings down. You felt sick to your stomach.

"I didn't mean to make you think back, on all that."

"Kuni, you know you can ask me and tell me anything."

"In that case..."

"Hm?"

"Why did you protect me, (y/n)? Why do you always risk yourself in my place? The hypostasis wasn't the first time, Yknow."

You knew that question was coming.

"Well Kuni, to keep it short and sweet, I couldn't bear to live without you. The possibility of living without friends was simply a fate I couldn't live with," I said in a mock-pitiful tone.

"You're really mean, (y/n)."

"I know~"

His face goes stoic. "Listen, (y/n), there's something I need to tell you."

"What?" you asked.

He sighed and scratched his neck, searching for the right words.

"A few days after we were paired up together, La Signora came up to me. She told me to spy on you, and... I agreed."

"WHAT?!" you practically screamed. Does that mean Signora of all people knows your secrets? You slapped Kuni. "You...you RAT!" you shouted. You huddled up in a ball, your back facing him.

"Listen (y/n)..."

"Are you gonna tell me a lie? Try to make me trust you again so you can keep doing your job?" you snapped.

"I never told her anything. I only gave one report, and that was the day she tasked me with spying on you."

"...What did you say?"