⁕53⁕

I took a deep breath before reaching for the phone, and for no apparent reason, my fingers trembled as I tapped on the screen

I waited for him to respond.

It rang and rang, but he did not pick it up. I was about to throw the device when I realised it was not mine.

I leaned back in my chair and closed my eyes while inhaling deeply. The phone rang out of the blue, and I jumped in fear before picking it up.

"Hello?"

His voice made my heart race, and I let out a sigh at the surprising sense of relief it gave me.

"Chandini, my darling, what is wrong with your phone? What happened?"

I held the phone before me and furrowed my brows in confusion. I said nothing, so how did he know it was me?

My voice was so low that I was not sure if he heard me when I said, "Could you come get me?... please."

However, I could tell he heard me because of the abrupt hustling and rapid footsteps I heard from the other side.

"I am heading there, darling. But please tell me, what happened? Why are you crying?" I heard the car's engine start-up and growl.

"Bhaiya... He overheard me talking to Barkha, and now he does not want me to be with you," I said, my voice wavering as tears welled up in my eyes.

I hiccuped and started crying, and there was total silence on the other end.

"Chandini, my love, I will handle everything. Do not wo-"

"He wants me to divorce you!" I spoke up, cutting him off.

His rapid breathing was audible to me before he yelled. "That is not going to happen!"

"It is all because of you!" I screamed into the phone as my anger suddenly surged.

I hung up the phone in frustration after he remained silent for some time. I threw the phone away this time as well.

When the door opened and Barkha entered, her eyes landed on me and her broken phone. Her expression was one of disbelief as she looked at me.

This is driving me insane!

A moment later, the doorbell rang twice in addition to the knocking on the door. I trailed behind her as she headed downstairs.

She said something under her breath that I overheard: "Here comes another madman!"