⁕57⁕

Rudra left without telling me anything, and I was unable to sleep after that

Rudra left without telling me anything, and I was unable to sleep after that. I am just concerned for him because I was scared when he woke up with a heartbreaking scream.

It was one more terrible dream.

This was unexpected, as he had not had one in a while.

When I followed him, I heard him yelling at someone about how important the day was to them.

What day?

Who was he talking about?

He was crying and putting all the blame on himself.

I dashed into Muktha's bedroom and barged inside. I shook her because she was sleeping like a corpse, and she awoke with wide eyes, alarmed.

"What? What happened?" she screamed.

"What day was it yesterday?"

She gave me a sidelong glance before muttering. "Saturday?"

I gave her a quick smack.

"No, Muktha! What day was it yesterday? Rudra- he- awoke from a nightmare and then just left. I overheard him talking about how important yesterday was outside. He was blaming himself-"

"Mom's death anniversary. It was yesterday, and he forgot about it," she said quietly.

My mouth dropped open as I looked at her in shock. She abruptly leapt out of bed and ran towards her closet, making me flinch.

"He believes it was his fault that Mom died. So he continues to blame himself for not being able to save her..."

She shouted from inside and just stood in the middle of the room.

"... Today is his birthday, and Mom was in another city attending one of her charity conferences. He wanted to celebrate his birthday with her, but as she was on her way back, she... met with an accident. He witnessed her death in front of his eyes, which had a terrible impact on him."

She said as she entered the room, fully dressed.

Why is he always the one who suffers most?

I have experienced it myself, and it is the worst feeling in the world to see, your parents leave you forever.  And what hurts the most, is that you know will never see them again, hear them, or be able to spend your time with them.

It is the loneliness that eats you up from the inside.

I sat on her bed and realised I did not know anything about him. And how awful it is that I am completely unaware that today is his birthday, considering that he is aware of practically every detail about me, even the smallest one.

"Why have not any of you reminded him?" I asked quietly.

"Because all he does is cry and be miserable for days on end. It was Papa who said to leave him alone this time and not to do anything. I just did what I was told." she explained as she slipped her shoes on.