Chapter 3 - Phone calls

Ivy's Point of View

"What happened to you?" My mom almost looked disgusted when she saw me coming in through the front door of our house. It was Sunday so she was home from work, her crappy work at the supermarket.

I know how I look, red puffy eyes surrounded by a tangled mass of hair which I haven't brushed since yesterday morning.

"Calum has left for the tour." I said almost not audible.

My mom Savannah sat down her glass of white wine on the kitchen counter and took a few steps closer to me. "What did you say? I hate when you mumble to youself."

I wasn't a loud person. I liked being by myself and I wasn't comfortable with to many people around me, every since my father died.

I sighed and looked my mom straight in the eye. "Calum. Has. Left."

I saw on my mother's face that she didn't know what to say so instead of just standing there like a fool, I walked past her, turned left after the kitchen and walked into my room. I closed the door.

I use to think that I've lived two different lives throughout my almost eighteen years alive. My first life started when I was born and ended when I was thirteen. During those years I was happy. My mom was happy, my dad was happy and my sister was happy. We were a happy family.

And then there is my second life. My dad got sick in cancer and my mom started drinking. First it was just a few glass then and then but when he died she could barely survive a day without getting drunk. I think I've lost count of all the times me and my sister Evelyn have had to clean up her vomit after to much drinking. Maybe that was the reason why Evelyn moved as soon as she turned eighteen. That was three years ago.

I can happily say that my mom is better now than she has been but it still can't go a day without her drinking a glass or two, and she barely cares about me anymore. I'm old enough so I can take care of my own life, as she explains it.

So in our house the rules are, I mind my own business and my mom minds her won business.

I pick up my phone that's lying on my bedside table and scroll through my contact list. I need someone else to talk to other than Leah. I don't want to bother her with my Calum problems anymore.

After four signals she picks up. "Hi sis! What's up?"

"Hi Eve." I say her nickname which I've used as long as I can remember. I sigh and continue talking. "It's okay, I just needed to talk to a familiar and friendly voice."

"Ooh. So he has left?"

I nod but remember that she can't see me so I try to swallow the lump in my throat which still hasn't disappeared yet. "Yes he have."

"How are you feeling then?" I could see my sisters small face so clearly in my mind surounded by her blonde curls, even though I hadn't seen her in months. I'm sure she now sat and looked out throught her big windows in her apartment and had that concerned look on her face. The one I got so familiar with when my dad was sick.

"I don't have the energy to talk about my feelings right now."

"Okay, then what do you want to talk about? I could hear water running in the background.

"How's Perth?" Was the only question that popped up in my mind.

"It's good, very good." I did no longer hear the water running in the background. "I don't work at that disgusting restaurant any more."

"Good, I have never liked that place!"

"Ivy, you've never even been there."

"I know, but you've told me a lot about it. Like your perverted boss." I did a disgusting noice in the back of my throat.

"Oh yeah, I will really miss him!" She laughed slightly.

"Have you gotten a new job yet... or?"

"No, I've had a few interviews for some big companies but I don't know if it went well." Her voice trailed away.

"I'm sure you did great!"

"I really want to work with economics so I hope it did. I'm sorry, I need to hang up now, I'm going out for lunch with Pamela." I haven't really heard anything about this Pamela before but I guess it's one of her many friends. Evelyn is quite popular unlike me.

I opened my mouth to say goodbye but Eve started talking again. "Just one more thing Ivy. How long is he going to be away?"

For a few moments I hadn't thought about Calum and now the lump in my throat was back. "Eeh... They are on their way to Singapore right now, then they'll be going to Japan, Europe, The UK, America and Canada, then New Zealand and last Australia. So five months in total. I've actaully bought a ticet to their show in Sydney. Maybe I could surprise Calum or something."

"That's a great idea! You should really do that." I could hear her light up and smile big. "But why didn't you go with the band on the tour?"

"Calum haven't really asked me and I guess that this is something he need to do by himself with the band. Experience his first world tour without me being in the way, you know." I heard Evelyn mumble in agreement. "And also, I can't say that I love our mother the way most children do, but in some way I'm a bit afraid of leaving her home alone."

"You're too kind, you should know that. But I really need to go now. Love you sis."

"Love you too Eve." Then the conversation ended and I took away the phone from my ear.

I threw it beside me on my bed and pulled out the bottom  drawer in my bedside table. I picked out a sharp pencil and my biggest pad of paper (it was as big as three ordinary pieces of papers instead of just one piece.) I started sketching. I knew exactly what I wanted to draw, Calum in his right element, with his bass and on stage. Drawing was something that always eased my mind and I could draw for hours without getting bored.

I had only drawn a few lines when my phone rang again. I glanced at the screen and threw myself over it.

"Hi!" I screamed into the phone before I even had had the time to put it against my ear.

I heard Calum laugh at the other end. Oh my god, that laugh. I felt how my whole body got all warm and jelly like.

"Hi Ivy."

"So you have landed in Singapore now?" I asked even though I knew the answer.

"Yes we have."

I was going to turn around in my bed so I was lying on my back but instead I rolled of my bed and hit the floor.

"Ouch..."

I heard Calum gasp at the other end. "What happened Ivy? Did you hurt yourself?"

I giggled. "No, I just embarrassed myself in front of you over the phone."

"What? How?" Calum sounded very confused which only made me giggle more.

"I fell off my bed."

Calum laughed again. "Awwe my little clumsy head."

We talked on the phone for I barely know how long and when we had hung up I lay on the floor for several minutes with my phone pressed against my chest, just smiling and feeling happy.

---------------------------------------------

Author's note:
Welcome to the story Ivy's sister Evelyn ;) Well, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! And as always, THANK YOU FOR READING YOU ALL ARE AWESOME! And don't forget to vote or comment something nice if you like what I'm writing! xoxo