15. Hits Different

Jeongyeon flutters his eyes open to the morning light. He glances to his left side and squints his eyes as he pats the space beside him. "Nayeon?"

He began scanning the room and there is no trace of the woman's figure. "Nayeon?"

Worry suddenly washes over his face while he keeps calling out for her name like a lost kid on the verge of crying. "Nayeon?"

His eyes get watery as his face expresses a million things. He bites his lower lip and ends up just looking down at his balled fist. "Nayeon."

After a minute of utter silence in the hospital room, the door creaks open making the chef instantly perk up and dart his eyes to its direction.

"Nayeon—"

"Annyeonghaseyo, Jeongyeon-ssi." A female nurse enters the alone space Jeongyeon has. She bows and walks to where the bed is. "I'm here to free you of that attached needle on your right hand."

The chef simply bows back and lets the medical practitioner do her task. It didn't take long for the drip to be safely detached from him.

"All done, Jeongyeon-ssi." The nurse taps the patient's shoulder and smiles. "You can now change to your casual clothes and be free of the premises."

Jeongyeon just nods once with a blank expression.

"O...kay." The female nurse awkwardly chuckles. "I will take my leave then."

And the chef simply nods just once again with the same unmoving face.

After the door shut and Jeongyeon was alone again in the room, he prolonged an exhale and did not move even a finger. He is just staring at the bottom end of the bed where his feet are still covered by the hospital's blanket.

Then, the door creaks open again.

Like earlier, the chef perks up and darts his eyes to the direction of the room's entrance. His expression lightens up and he draws a huge grin to his face. "Nayeon!"

"Hey." The so-called bunny girl is already showing her bunny teeth at the man who is evidently happy to see her. "Why are you still in your hospital clothes?"

Jeongyeon has his eyes pinned at the figure walking towards him. "Where did you go?"

"To the nurse's office. I signed your documents and all. Your sister declared me as your official guardian last night when she left—" Nayeon halted her legs for a second and pursed her lips when the fully grown man in front of her raised his arms to her direction. "Wae? You want a hug, baby?"

The chef simply nods twice.

Nayeon chuckles and steps close to the bed to embrace Jeongyeon. "Were you looking for me when you woke up?"

The chef just nods again in response.

The cafe owner moves her right hand to pet the man's head. "I'm sorry if I left without waking you up. I just wanted you to get the most rest you could have."

Jeongyeon hugs the girl tighter. "I already had the best sleep last night."

"You did?"

"Hmm."

Nayeon smiles and places a short kiss on the chef's temple. "Good. How are you feeling? The doctor said I should call them if you're dizzy or feeling any stinging pain in your head."

"Nah. I'm fine." Jeongyeon smirks. "Superb if I might add. Can't help but feel like that when I have a pretty girl in front of me, hugging me like I am the most fragile boy on earth."

"Huh." The cafe owner raises an eyebrow. "Glad to know your playboy tongue is still working fine. At least that's one thing I shouldn't worry about."

The chef chuckles. "I'm just telling the truth. You're the prettiest girl on earth and you just slept next to me. I can't resent being hospitalized that much if I think about it like—"