34. Surface

"Hmm?" Nayeon looks to the direction of the condominium unit's door that was heard unlocked. She is sitting on the couch of Jeongyeon's living room in her glossy navy pajamas and huge rounded glasses. She was busy typing on her iPad. "Is he back already?" She glances at her smart watch. "He was out just 30 minutes ago. Did he run like crazy to finish his workout that fast?"

Nayeon then just shrugs and goes back to her iPad's screen as faint footsteps were nearing and nearing her. She casually spoke without looking at who she assumed was the owner of the house. "You're back? That was—"

"Bunny-ssi?"

"Huh?" The cafe owner darts her sight from where the unfamiliar feminine voice came. "O— oh?!" She immediately stands up and bows politely. "An— annyeong haseyo."

"Annyeong." Jennie bows back. "Is Jeongyeon here?"

Nayeon didn't answer right away, scanning the girl in front of her. "Umm... He went out for a run. Wae?"

The chef nods. "I see."

There was awkward silence between the two women for a moment.

Nayeon's left hand, which is free from holding anything, fiddles with its own fingers. Her eyes are zeroed in on Jennie who is awkwardly looking around, seeming to desperately try and avoid eye contact at all costs.

The tension built up more when the cafe owner cleared her throat to obviously get the only other person in the room.

Jennie darted her eyes to Nayeon who just flashes her a flat smile, making her feel obliged to speak. "I'm— Look. Umm... Nayeon, right? I'm..." She clears her throat and heaves in a deep breath, maintaining composure under the other girl's gaze. "I'm sorry if this looks weird but believe it or not, Jeongyeon gave me the password to his apartment because as weird as it sounds, his sous chef sometimes picks up things for him at his house. This house."

"Yeah." Nayeon nods. "All of that sounds weird."

"Please don't misunderstand." Jennie smiles with sincerity. "Trust me. Jeongyeon and I are friends. I have no interest in that guy. Romantically. I know his life before you. I know how everyone lost count of the girls he bedded in the past decade. And I was sane enough to never want to be involved in that. And— and please don't be offended by that."

The cafe owner nods again and smiles back. "Okay. Noted."

And then there was silence again in the room.

This time, Jennie initiated to break the dead air first. "You should talk with Jeongyeon if you need more explanation." She points to the door she entered from earlier. "I think I should go—"

"Wait." Nayeon cuts in.

The chef who was about to turn her heel around, gives the other girl a confused look. "Hmm?"

The owner sighs as her expression softens. "I haven't had the chance to thank you enough for your help last time when I needed someone to get me into Jeongyeon's office. I make good coffee." She showcases a tender smile. "Would you like some good coffee?"

"Okay." A sweet smile grows on Jennie's face. "I... think I'd love that."

*********

Mina's POV

I sigh and stare at the clouds floating on the blue sky. Where are you Chae? I am now at a wooden bench here at the museum's gardens, protected by the sun's rays by the scattered old trees. I decided to just pass time here instead of going home or working at the studio. I don't feel like doing anything else anyway.