12. Lifeline (1)

Jeongyeon's POV

What is this? Isn't that me?

I can see a younger version of me who is in his college apartment, lying on my own bed with my eyes closed.

Why can I see myself from above?

Am I actually dead?

Then, a woman walks into my room. I couldn't see her face from my view but when the younger me felt that a body lay beside him, without opening his eyes, he just smiled and mumbled. "You're early, babe."

Babe? Eew. I'm sure my true face grimaced at the term. Why call her babe? And I have a strong opinion that you should meet Nayeon, bro. She will make you think twice about all of this.

Then, the woman leaned to his cheeks and kissed it. When she spoke, the voice was a bit low but still soft and feminine. "I missed you."

The younger me visibly giggles as he slowly flutters his eyes to look into the woman's direction. Seriously, bro. Stop that. "I missed you too. I never saw you in like—" He playfully squints at her. "In like... three days?"

I know that this is a dream. But why is this scene somehow rubbing me in the wrong way?

The girl's sweet chuckle echoed through the room. "That's too long already?"

"It is!" This naïve younger Jeongyeon pouts and whines as he carefully pulls her body to snuggle closer to him. He places a short kiss onto the girl's temple right after. "You should never leave the house again. I don't like it when you're away. It's like my whole world is incomplete without you by my side."

Woah. There's too much cringe in there. Did this really happen in my past? And who is this girl? Tsk. I still can't see her face.

"You're overreacting." She says as if she is flashing an apologetic smile. "And I'm really sorry that these conventions tend to get longer and more frequent these days. I had to attend all of these for my teaching credits. You— you know that, right?"

"Hey—" The younger me shakes his head and then quickly pecks the girl's lips. "It's fine, babe. Really, I understand. And I will always support you with everything you have to do. I promise that I will always be here for you." He gently cups one of the girl's cheeks. "I will always be here waiting for you so always come home to me the soonest you can, okay?"

The girl just chuckles and simply nods in response.

Nayeon's going to kill me if I mention any part of this dream to her.

I think he was about to pull her into a kiss again but she abruptly looked away, immediately changing the expression of my younger self into something worried. "Babe, is something wrong?"

"So— Sorry, Jeong." She shortly exhales. "I—I think I'm tired. Can we... can we just rest and sleep all day?"

He flashes a sincere smile at her. "Sure, babe. No problem." He then leans to briefly kiss her forehead. "I love you. So much. Always."

So many kisses. Was I addicted to this girl in some sort of way?

"Hmm. Me too."

Hmm? I slowly flutter my eyes open to this unfamiliar white ceiling. I sleepily let my sight wander around the room that I am sure is not mine.

To my right... A large window with blinds... Dimmed lights... A turned on humidifier which I'm sure emits this Eucalyptus scent abundant in the air... And, Oh. My eyebrows scrunch at my right hand with a connected medical situation.