Fairy Dust

It’s the tenth day on lockdown, and to say Stiles is feeling a little stir crazy...well, OK, it’s not an understatement, but it’s not overstatement either.

The last time she was housebound was when she broke her leg at twelve years old–funnily enough, by climbing into Scott’s bedroom window, funny, because she hasn’t learned her lesson and still does just that when he’s taking to long to answer the door...or she’s just letting herself in.

The other time Stiles remembers being constricted is with the Void, in her own body.

But that’s wildly different...

She doesn’t feel terribly afraid or out of hope.

She feels restless, and obviously on edge for Derek’s safety.

There’s still been no sign of Gerard.

But Laura says that she’s seen his son; Chris around town, here and there–once, filling up on gas, but the other time is when he offers to pay for Laura’s bottle of wine in the local grocery store that confuses the hell out of Stiles, as well as the rest of the pack.

Well, minus Talia, apparently, who merely nodded after being told.

And as it turns out, Derek sometimes works from home, anyway, so, during a couple of hours in the days, Stiles is either left to sit with him as he works, or she’s simply left to her own devices.

And wonderful, attentive Alpha that she is, Talia has made sure Laura has brought whatever Stiles needs from her own home–clothes, toiletries, a couple of her own books and of course, her PSP, along with a few of her favourite games.

But most importantly, for the moment, Stiles is unemployed, herself, only having graduated less than a year ago. She’s finally taking a few months of freedom.

So, right now, Stiles is settled on the two seater couch in the basement, her PSP on mute so as not to disturb her wolf, while Derek, himself, is sat on the floor in front of her, his back leaning lightly against her legs. He’s quietly concentrating, typing away on his laptop as he catalogues the new books sent in to him.

And the cute nerdy vibe of his...well, the novelty definitely hasn’t worn off, and Stiles doesn’t think it ever will–doesn’t ever think he won’t be utterly adorable–but that doesn’t mean Stiles is going to make a fool out of herself. She, of all people, knows how hard it is to concentrate when you’re trying to work, so, she lets her wolf get on with what he needs to.

And also, if she does just that, he’ll finish quicker, and then, she’ll have him all to herself again...

Well, as much to herself as she can get of him in a house full of his pack...

***
Scott sighs tiredly–more like an irritated huff, really. “I don’t know what you’ve heard about kitsunes–but I’m just one, and I’m not special; I only have five tails.”

Chris chuckles mirthlessly, though, his eyes are half wide with amazement. “How much do you know about your own kind? Most kitsunes rarely ever manage to get to three tails before their own ego swallows them whole.” He eyes the boy curiously. “But you’re different, Scott.”

Scott arches a brow, doesn’t look impressed. “Really not.”

Chris rolls his eyes, almost smiling at the kid’s modesty.

Yes, the hunter thinks, he’s perfect for this and he doesn’t even know it.

(In another life, Chris wonders what it would have been like to teach the supernatural about their own powers.)

“Foxes don’t run in packs like wolves do. They have families, but they’re mostly solitude creatures. That’s why until you came to Beacon Hills, you and your mother could never make real friends, right? You don’t trust people enough to, and you’re right to be that way.” Chris nods his agreement, “Hunters are the same way. We protect our own, no matter what...” He then, looks slightly disturbed as he says, “But I just don’t know if I wanna be like that anymore. It’s a poisonous way to be, poisoning to yourself.” He smiles hopefully, “But you’re different; you and your mother. You help people. You let them into your heart.”