33

Downfall

"Gosh. Nakakaawa."

"Ang bait pa naman ng pamilyang iyon."

"Gumanti siguro ang pamilya nila Hayes."

"Pero grabe naman ata ito."

I ignored those murmurs around me as I walked towards our classroom. Their eyes watch me with pity and concern.

What the fuck is their deal?

Hindi ba sila sanay na ako na lang ang palaging mag-isang naglalakad dito sa hallway?

I took a deep sigh as I sat down. My eyes lingered for a second on the seat adjacent to mine.

Ganitong ganito ang pakiramdam ko noong nagkahiwalay kami noon. Ngayon, nandito na naman ako.

"Elene!"

Agad na napabaling ang ulo ko sa humahangos ka si Trixie. Hapong hapo na animo'y kanina pa tumatakbo.

"What? What happened?" I asked in urgency too and neared her.

Trixie held my hand tightly. She didn't say anything and just show me her phone. A news video is playing there.

With furrowing brows and confused eyes, I watch the video on her phone.

Two individuals were injured in a multi-vehicle collision that occurred on Nasugbu Highway in Batangas City. According to reports, the victims were known as the head of fast growing company and together with his daughter, the Anonuevos. Authorities are continuing their investigation into the cause of the fiery car accident at the city border.

"The Anonuevos. . .they didn't make it." She confirmed.

Nabingi ako. Tila ayaw pang rumehistro sa utak ko ang nangyari.

Everything is falling apart.

Why is this happening all at once? I don't even know what to entertain first! Hindi ko alam paano ko hahatiin ang katawan ko. . .Ang dami kong inaasikaso at pakiramdam ko, bawal akong magpahinga. Pakiramdam ko walang nakakakita ng mga pagod ko.

Nagring ang phone ko.

"Hello?" I asked using my strained voice.

There's a pure silence on the line. I looked at my phone to check if it's still connected. And it still does.

Trixie and I exchanged gazes. And that's when it hits me.

"Hello? Migo?" I called for him.

I heard a heavy and shaky breathing.

On that moment, I knew, that the fairytale life I once dreamed of back when I was still a child was a lie.

I run as fast as I can in the hallway of the nearest hospital. Para akong lumulutang. Hindi ko alam kung saan pupunta. Basta ang nasa isip ko lang, kailangan ako ng kaibigan ko. Kailangan ako ni Layana.

I heard her loud cries inside the morgue. Nagkatitigan kami ni Migo. Mapula ang mga mata nito na tila ba kanina pa rin umiiyak.

I slowly went inside. My knees wobbled because of the sight in front of me.

Tita Alani is weak too. She hugged me to ask for support. I can't do anything. I feel helpless as I watch them broke down because of so much pain.

"Lene, wala na sila! Wala na sila!" Hagulgol ng kaibigan ko habang tinutulungan siyang makalayo sa malamig na katawan ng kaniyang ama at kapatid.

Layana is even trembling as I hugged her. I cried with her. I joined her in her pain. Even on the days of the burial, I never left her side. I did her projects and homeworks just so she could still pass the semester. Katuwang niya rin ako sa pagschedule ng kaniyang check ups. I shut down my own emotions to help other people. I couldn't care less. They are important to me. My issues can wait.