Chapter 20: Guessing Games

Datrix was never an easy person to persuade. Not since Robert Daltar died, at least. Rosalind was the only one alive now that could change Datrix's mind once he was set in his ways. Rosalind, however, wouldn't be of any help to Kantori for this particular argument. When it came to her daughter's safety, Rosalind's stubbornness made the King appear flexible.

"Anyone can be reasoned with." Dakasi assured Kantori after this was explained to her. The two walked side by side on a road of colourful stones. They were careful to step out of the way when a mule pulled cart carrying hay bales from the outskirts to the stables went by them. "So long as you know how to show them how your goals benefit theirs." Dakasi continued as she watched the mules walk by, and studied the crooked nose of the young man driving the cart.

"I tried that." Kantori scoffed. "I tried to convince Datrix that the Sorceress's Alliance would be an incredible asset to the resistance." She went on, her hands gesturing wildly to convey her frustration.
"Is that his goal, though?" Dakasi questioned, her ears tilting to the side.
"What do you mean? Of course the resistance is his goal." Kantori argued.

"Is it?" Dakasi asked again. "If the Resistance is his top priority, then why are you the leader and not him? You would think that an experienced military captain would make a far better leader than, how old were you at the time? A teenager would be my guess. Don't get me wrong, you seem an excellent leader. However as a young adult, your priorities should lay in finding who you are and deciding your goals. Not commanding strategies and giving orders that may decide the fate of everyone within this village and everyone who fights for a change outside it. You're not emotionally mature enough yet, and you're more likely to crash under the pressure. So why you and not him if the resistance really is his main priority?" Dakasi reasoned.

Kantori frowned, and her ears twitched, and her brows furrowed. "Hmm..." She hummed with a bitter tone. Her eyes squinted and glared towards the ground. As if it had been the one debating her position as leader. "I guess... His priority is me. Well, me and my mother. Mom and Datrix grew up together, and my father was his first friend within the royal guard. My parents met through Datrix, and when I was born, Datrix was chosen to be my Godfather." Kantori informed Dakasi.

"He was never close with his own parents. When he became a knight, it wasn't for any large goal. It was just so he'd have an excuse to be away from them often. It was my father who taught him what it means to protect others and work towards a greater goal, but... Datrix has always preferred simple things. A cup of tea, a soft blanket, a roof under his head. These are the things Datrix cares about. Still he's always taught me to be honourable and brave, taught me the lessons my father taught him. Isn't it ironic? That I ended up teaching those same lessons to Datrix's son? Who is named after my father?" Kantori rambled. She chuckled softly and shook her head. Her expression became a fond one.

"Then if his priority is your well being, your approach to convincing him has to have that in mind." Dakasi told Kantori once she was done her rambling. "So, why do you care so much about making this journey? How are you going to mitigate the risk to your well-being specifically? These are the points you'll need to approach." Dakasi advised.
"Hmm..." Kantori hummed thoughtfully. She folded her arms in front of her chest, and rubbed her chin. "Well, it benefits me because it prevents the risk of you giving away the village location. It also benefits me because it will be another step from fighting for just survival towards fighting for actual change." Kantori decided.

Dakasi processed Kantori's points. As Kantori leapt onto the wooden frame of a flower garden, and used it as a balance beam, Dakasi came up with arguments that might occur in the conversation with Datrix.
"Datrix might not want that transition at all." Dakasi stated. "He might only want the fight for survival, and not a fight for change. That must be why he's the leader of the forces protecting this village, while you're the leader of the fight towards making a change. Arguing those points means also convincing him to fight against the Kingdom, and therefore the Empire. That is a fight your father, whom Datrix cared for greatly, died in. Datrix will likely not wish the same fate on you."