Intermission: The Death of a Hero, a Husband, a Father

(Every now and then I'll post short stories that take place in the past of some of these characters. This one is about Kantori.)

     It was mid November, and Kantori was at the maturity of a seventeen year old human. She stared into a mirror in the hall of her home, wearing a plain black dress with long sleeves and a modest neckline. She wore black winter boots and a black winter coat. Her long curls of auburn hair puffed underneath her knitted hat with a black pom pom at the top. A black scarf hid her face. Black mittens hid her hands. Her eyes were blood shot from the time she spent crying.

     "Tori? Are you ready?" Rosalind's voice called softly from the staircase railing.
     Without looking at her mother, Kantori nodded. She walked silently towards the stairs, then broke into tears once again. Rosalind reached her arms towards Kantori, who leapt into them and hugged her mother tightly. Rosalind returned the hug, and they stayed like that for a good ten minutes, maybe more.
     "We'll be late if we don't leave soon." Rosalind whispered.

     "Do we have to go?" Kantori cried. She hid her face into her mother's shoulder, and listened to her mother's warm and weary sigh. Rosalind placed a hand over Kantori's head, and rubbed her daughter's back as Kantori's hold tightened around her waist.
     "We do. We have to say goodbye." Rosalind told her.
     "I don't want to say goodbye." Kantori sobbed.

     "I know... I don't either." Rosalind murmured. "But this is part of life. Every story has an end, otherwise there'd be no room for anything new. It'd get boring if everything stayed the same forever." Rosalind attempted to console her.
     "Maybe I want boring!" Kantori shouted, pulling away from the hug. "Boring would be ten, no, a hundred times better than this! Why can't we just have boring? Why can't... why can't... why can't..." Kantori screeched. Her words became incoherent after that. Rosalind couldn't understand a word of her daughter's ranting due to tears and Kantori's shrill tone.
     "Shhh..." Rosalind soothed gently. "It's okay to be upset, Kantori. That's what this is for. It's permission to be upset. Together. With the people we love. We'll say goodbye together, and we'll be upset together." Rosalind told her.

     "I don't want to be upset..." Kantori whimpered helplessly. "I want him here... I want my Dad."
     "I know." Rosalind assured her. She pulled Kantori into a hug again, and the two held each other as tight as they could. "I know." Rosalind repeated. They stood there like that for another moment. Then Rosalind wrapped one arm around her daughter, and used the other to wipe her daughter's tears. "It's going to be okay. I'm here." Rosalind whispered.
     The two walked down the stairs together. Kantori leaned on Rosalind for support.

     The Daltar Family... or, what was left of it, exited the house. Datrix sat in the driver's seat of a cart outside the house RJ sat in the cart itself, and waved to Kantori when he saw her. Rosalind tried her best to smile. She and RJ helped Kantori into the cart. Kantori refused to let go of Rosalind, so Rosalind sat beside her rather than in the front with Datrix. Robby tried to distract Kantori with funny stories and jokes, which for the most part worked. The ride was a somber one, but... It was pleasant in a bittersweet sort of way... and certainly better than wallowing in her room alone.

     When they arrived at the funeral, people were gathered on a cliff side overlooking a large lake. Everyone wore black, and they were releasing silver lanterns with golden trim into the air. When the cart arrived, a path cleared in the crowd. People watched with respectful gestures, such as a bowed head or a hand on the chest, whilst Kantori and Rosalind were helped out of the cart. "His wife and daughter." People whispered as Kantori and Rosalind looked towards the crowd. "His best friend, and the boy named after him." Other whispers came as Datrix and RJ walked behind Rosalind and Kantori. "I know human lives are short... but... His wife seems so young." Someone whispered. "He died young even for a human. He died in a battle against the Royal Guard." Another whisper explained. "I thought he died from illness." A third commented. "The Royal Guard killing him does make sense." The original voice decided. "Be quiet. It's starting." Someone scolded.

     Kantori's ears twitched violently. As did Datrix's. RJ was too distracted in helping his father, Godmother, and family friend keep walking. Rosalind was about ready to collapse. She did as soon as they found some chairs to sit in. Datrix patted her shoulder, and she looked up at him with a grateful smile. Kantori sat beside her mother, and RJ sat beside her.

     Datrix stepped onto a stage once he was sure Rosalind and her daughter were alright. He walked behind a podium, and cleared his throat. "Good morning, and thank you, to all that have come here." Datrix greeted. It wasn't his first speech. As a Captain he inspired soldiers to fight terrible wars, seize monsters, and rescue citizens from natural disasters that would likely kill anyone in the area at any moment. Yet this... This Ceremony regarding the death of an incredibly dear friend...
     This would be the most difficult speech he'd ever give.

     "We are gathered here today to pay our respects, and say our goodbyes, to a man that dyed far too soon. Robert Daltar was a human male with incredible spirit. He came to our land due to a trade between lands. Two high ranking soldiers switched armies in an attempt to form an alliance between our Kingdom and one with a large populace of Humans. While Elves live longer than Humans, and have many of our own advantages, Robert Daltar had one of the strongest forces of willpower J had ever seen. Every day was lived to the fullest, and every decision he made truly mattered. He fought to get the recognition he deserved, and his fight will be continued, through us. As a far off descendant of our Kingdom's founder, I vow to continue Robert Daltar's legacy, until we can restore the kingdom of Welnor to its former glory." Datrix declared.

     "Here here!" The crowd cheered, raising glasses of wine to toast.
     "And not only was Robert a dedicated soldier worthy of the title Captain, but he was a dedicated husband and father as well. His wife, Rosalind, is one of the most intelligent people I know. The two of them were a pairing like chocolate and strawberries, like autumn and warm sweaters. They taught me what it meant to appreciate life, and all the gifts and challenges it offers. Their daughter, Kantori, is one of the strongest people I have ever known. I'm sure that one day, she will be a driving force in the resistance, and a hero to us all." Datrix continued.

     Kantori raised her head at Datrix's words. While she felt sparks of inspiration stir in her stomach and shine in her eyes, she also felt a heavy weight on her shoulders. The pressure of carrying on her father's legacy... Of finishing the fight he started. She worried, slightly, that she may not be able to achieve such a goal. Nonetheless, she would never stop trying until she did.
     Still, Datrix's speech continued. "Here Here!" The crowd cheered yet again.
     "Here's to Robert Daltar! May his influence continue to inspire us all!" Datrix exclaimed.
     "To Robert Daltar!" The crowd echoed.

     A long fuse was then lit by a match. Kantori's eyes followed the flame as it ate the rope, and quickly made its way down. Excitement loomed in her chest, but it hardened into dread when she remembered what the fuse was leading to. A firework. A single firework filled with gunpowder and other ingredients, as well as her father's cremated ashes.

     Music was played solemnly on violins as the firework whizzed into the air. When it exploded, Kantori hugged her mother and hid her face in Rosalind's shoulder. Both of them cried as Rosalind stroked Kantori's hair. "It will be alright." Rosalind soothed, watching the fireworks with teary eyes. "Your father will always watch over us. I don't think even death can stop his love, with how stubborn he was." Rosalind insisted, causing Kantori to laugh slightly.

     "Yeah..." Kantori murmured. "I'm sure he is." She agreed.