Chapter 18

THE ringing of a phone abruptly roused Amira from her slumber. She let out a weary sigh, feeling the discomfort in her back as she stretched to grasp her phone from the nightstand. Upon inspecting her phone, she noticed a multitude of missed calls from her colleague, Dale.

A glimmer of hope washed over Amira as she gazed at her phone screen; perhaps Dale had some information about Cree's location.

Kaagad niya rin tinawagan pabalik si Dale subalit hindi niya ito magawang ma-contact. Tinipa niya ulit ang mga numero subalit nakailang ulit na siya ay nadismaya na lamang si Amira nang hindi talaga magawang ma-contact si Dale.

Dale's phone appeared to be without a signal, and while his line wasn't engaged, Amira couldn't get through to him by calling back. Fear enveloped her, as the realization dawned that something might have befallen Dale, preventing her from contacting him.

Sa sobrang kaba niya ay aksidente niyang nasagi ang baso na nakapatong sa bedside table niya nang ibinalik niya ulit ang phone niya rito.

The sound of glass shattering intensified her anxiety, as it felt like a foreboding omen. She couldn't help but fear that something untoward might have occurred to the individuals she held dear.

Magtataka sana siya kung bakit nga ba andoon nakalagay ang baso na may laman na tubig subalit kaagad nahagilap ng kanyang mga mata ang nakahandang almusal.

A letter had been left alongside the prepared meal for her. As she retrieved the paper, Amira wasted no time in reading its contents.

"Consume your breakfast, my dear. I am setting out to locate Cree, and I do not intend to return until I have succeeded."

-- Fornax

Amira let out a frustrated sigh. Fornax's eagerness to find Cree, despite having no concrete information, left her exasperated. She was aware that Fornax was pursuing something unattainable, akin to chasing after unattainable dreams.

Simpleng tao lang naman si Fornax. He might be putting in his best effort, but Amira was well aware that it fell short of what was truly necessary. Even involving the police wouldn't be of much help, as she understood that Cree's disappearance went far beyond everyone's initial expectations.

They weren't dealing with ordinary adversaries; they were up against gods. The deities were all determined to eliminate Cree. Every passing moment was precious, and Amira could only pray that it wouldn't be too late to save her son. Cree held immense value, and those driven by greed were willing to go to any lengths to possess him.

Hindi man lang magawang isipin ni Amira kung saan nga ba siya nagkamali. Amira had always exercised extreme caution, ensuring that no one had ever managed to track down and abduct Cree before. Both the organization and Amira were the sole keepers of the knowledge regarding Cree's true identity and the reasons behind his immense value, a secret so vital that they were willing to risk their lives to protect it.

Without a moment's delay, Amira retrieved her laptop and initiated the process of tracing Dale's phone call. This endeavor was a crucial step towards locating him and, hopefully, a significant stride in the quest to find her son. The knowledge Dale had imparted to her about tracing phone calls was proving unexpectedly valuable, and Amira was grateful for it.

Amira was on the brink of tracing Dale's phone call when the doorbell unexpectedly rang. She found it perplexing, as she doubted Fornax would use the doorbell when entering their own home, and she hadn't anticipated any visitors at this moment.