Chapter 7

Y/ns pov:
Thursday 14th of May

A day. It's been exactly 24 hours since the little café incident between Jake and I. After that he tried picking up Jade at the daycare however I got there first and managed to get him far away.

As much as I wanted to take a day off, I couldn't. My paycheck is all Jade and I have. It's what puts the food on the table, keeps a roof over our heads.

I let out a loud sigh, as I return behind the counter once again. Let me tell you working Thursdays at a café is a fucking nightmare.

"Your favourite customer is in her usual spot asking for you." Izzy informs and my eyes dart to the back of the café, immediately I'm met with a pair of hazel eyes and a soft smile.

"Thanks Iz." I smile, tying a cleaner apron around my waist before walking over to Hailee.

"Hey you." She says a wider smile tugging on her lips as I approach her table.

"Hey stranger." I smile, taking out a notepad and a pen. "Cappuccino and almond croissant?"

"You know me too well." She says.

"Coming right up." I flash her a smile, before slipping my notepad in my pocket and starting to walk away.

"Hey-" Hailee says, stopping me as she gently grabs my wrist. Instinctively I flinch, and my heart rate increases as I turn around. "I'm sorry-I just wanted to ask if you're okay." She says, releasing my wrist. I look at her with a confused expression as I try and calm myself down.

She isn't Jake Y/n. Breath for fucks sake. Breathe.

"I saw what happened yesterday, so i wanted to check in." Hailee adds, as she notices my confused expression.

"Oh, that-I yeah I'm good." I say, putting on a smile. "Thanks for asking."

"Of course." Hailee smiles. "Glad you're okay."

"Thanks." I say. "I'll get your order right away." She nods, and I walk away, running a hand through my hair and letting out a deep breath as I reach the counter.

"Her usual?" Izzy asks, already having prepared a croissant with a cappuccino.

"How did you know that?" I ask, confused as I eye the items in front of me.

"It's a small café Y/n, I can hear you talk to her." Izzy's response is followed by a small chuckle, causing a laugh of my own to slip out.

"Fair enough." I smile. My gaze shifting to Hailee, her eyes catching mine immediately. Our eyes stay locked for a little bit more than seen as socially acceptable. She flashes me a small smirk, and I feel my cheeks heat up, as I look away.

"You should shoot your shot you know." Izzy says, clearly seeing that little moment the brunette and I shared.

"Nope." I say, popping the p.

"Why not? You clearly like each other."

"I don't know if you forgot I have a whole other tiny human to care about." I reply, half sarcastic half serious. "Dating as a parent is hard Iz, especially with Jake back I d-"

"-you are overthinking it." Izzy cuts me off. "It doesn't have to be serious, but you need to forget that fucking asshole and try something else. Plus Jade fucking loves Pitch Perfect, she'll be stoked to meet Hailee."

I smile at the mention of my daughter a flashback oh her laying on my chest as I sang 'flashlight' to her, running through my mind. I only knew that song from the show just the other day did I find out Hailee sang that song.

"That is if she wants to go out with me." I sigh.

"Bitch be so for real right now." Izzy says, looking at me with the 'come on' look. "I tried to serve her and the bitch blew me off faster than any man before." I let out a laugh at her exaggeration.

"I can't flat out ask her. My anxiety doesn't anxiety in that way." I say, earning a laugh from Izzy.

"Well, here." She slides me over Hailee's bill with a pen. "Write your number at the bottom and you don't have to say anything."

For a second I consider it, but when I catch Hailee's eyes scanning my body, I decide: "Fuck it." I pick up the pen scribbling my number down with my name next to it.

I pick up her order, with the receipt and prepare to walk over to her.

"Good luck." Izzy says, before turning around and talking to a customer.

"Your almond croissant," I say, placing the croissant in front of Hailee. "And your cappuccino." I place the cappuccino down along with the receipt.

"Thank you so much." Hailee smiles, her eyes glancing down at the receipt, the corner of her lips curling into a smirk. "That your number?"

"Mhm." I hum. "Just thought that would be useful information to have." I say, and she looks up at me nodding.

"It definetley is. Thanks." She smiles.

Thank fuck for that.

"Call me over if you need anything." I say. "Or just call me. I can work with both." I flash her a wink, seeing her cheeks turn a bright shade of pink before walking away, my stomach swarming with butterflies.