Chapter 9

Y/n's pov:
Monday 18th of May

"Mama!" My daughter exclaims when I walk into the reception to pick her up from the school.

"Hey, angel." I smile, crouching down and opening my arms as she runs into them. "How was your day sweethart?" I ask, as we pull apart.

"Good!" She smiles. "Daddy came to visit."

I feel my heartbeat increase, as I look at my daughter with wide eyes. "What do you mean by that, angel?"

"He came here a bit before you and wanted to take me to a water park!" She says, excitement evident in her voice.

"Did he?" I ask, faking a smile. "What did you say to him?"

"I wanted to go, but miss Howard stopped me." She responds, motioning to the woman behind her. I look at the blonde behind her and our eyes meet, she takes a deep breath walking towards us.

"Miss Y/l/n, just who I need to speak to." Miss Howard says, a smile on her face.

"Hooe she isn't making any trouble." I say, tickling my daughter as she giggles.

"No mama, I'm not!" She manages to say through a wide smile.

"No, of course not." The blonde smiles. "She is a little angel." She says, ruffling Jade's hair.

"Glad to hear that." I stand up face to face with the teacher as I take Jade's hand. There is no way in hell I'm letting her go anywhere alone and have Jake getting his filthy hands near her.

"I had a man here today claiming to be her father." The teacher says and I nod.

"Yeah, she told me." I say.

"Yes, well forgive me if he was supposed to take her but since we don't have him on our files I couldn't let her go with him." She says, in an apologetic tone.

"He wasn't supposed to pick her up and he never will pick her up. Thank you for keeping her safe." I smile at the blonde and she sighs in relief.

"Of course ma'am. I will see you tomorrow then." She smiles, and I nod returning the sift smile before she walks away.

"Mama, this bag is heavyy." The smaller girl whines trying to shrug the backpack off her shoulder.

"Let me carry it for you baby." I chuckle taking the bag off of her shoulders and throwing it over my shoulder. The smaller girl dramatically sighs in relief and I laugh, starting to walk out with her.
-------------
Once Jade is finally in bed, I pour myself a glass of wine, and sit down in my living room. Wine in one hand and my phone in the other.

As I open my phone I see a text from Hailee, making a smile tug on my face immediately. It's been a couple of days since she sent me that first text and we've been texting every day as well as seeing each other every day since she comes to Dayglow a lot.

Hailee:
Hey.
How was your day?

I feel my smile grow bigger as I think of a response.

Me:
Good.
What about yours?

As soon as I send that text message I see bubbles pop up on the bottom of the screen signaling Hailee is typing.

Hailee:
It was alright.

Me:
Just alright?

Hailee:
Yeah I had a lot of work to do which is not the most exciting thing on the planet. You know?

Me:
Tell me about it.

The next text message, makes my heart rate increase by an unhealthy amount.

Hailee:
Can you call?

We've never called before, yes we talk in real life but this seems like a big stage.

Me:
Of course.

Hailee
Incoming call

       Accept                                            Decline

I fix up my hair a little bit before accepting the call. When I do I'm greeted with Hailee, sitting down on her bed with a smile on her face.

"Hey stranger." She says, her voice a little bit raspy, showing how tired she is.

"Hey you." I smile. "You seem tired. You get any sleep last night?"

"Does two hours count?" She says, through a chuckle making me let out a small laugh as well.

"No, no it doesn't." I shake my head.

"Then no, I didn't get any sleep last night." She sighs.

"What kept you awake?" I ask.

"Just work and I was writing some new songs." She responds, barely keeping her eyes open.

"You should go to sleep, Haiz." I smile. "We can talk tomorrow yeah?"

"Nooo, don't go." She whines, similarly to Jade I'm not gonna lie to you.

"You need sleep." I say.

"Mhm, but you can still stay while I'm trying to sleep." She suggests, trying so hard to keep her eyes open. I chuckle.

"You want me to stare at you while you're sleeping Steinfeld?" I raise an eyebrow, in a joking manner. "You creep."

"Hey you're the creep if you watch me sleep." She laughs.

"Wow, turning this on me. I see how it is." I chuckle. "Go to sleep or I won't text you tomorrow."

"That's not fair." She huffs.

"Totally is." I nod. "Sleep, please."

"Just cus' you said please." She smiles.

"Good." I say. "Sweet dreams Haiz"

"Goodnight Y/n." Hailee smiles tiredly before hanging up.

I let my phone fall into my lap, and I throw my head back on the couch the biggest grin on my face.

"Mama?" I hear a small voice from the hallway.

"Hey baby." I smile, setting down my glass of wine on the table and slipping my phone in my pocket before walking over to my daughter that is hugging her teddy bear against her chest tightly. "What's wrong?"

"I wanna sleep with you." She says, rubbing her eyes. "Please."

"Of course." I smile. "C'mon let's go to bed."

She opens her arms, a signal for me to lift her up and I do. Her tiny arms wrap tightly around me as I carry her to my bedroom, getting both of us under the covers.

The smaller girl lays on my chest already sound asleep, and I kiss the top of her head, securely holding her against me.