Welcome to Colorado (1)

-New York-

 "Jackie!" Candy called, rushing over to her friend tightly clutching the clipboard and checklist in her hands.  

"Did you check in with the caterers?"  Jackie questioned back, looking between the kitchen doors and her assistant.

"Canapés are going out in ten minutes." Candy smiled, causing her grin to spread onto Jackie's face as she reassured her everything was fine. 

"Great. Thank you." Jackie beamed, checking off another item on her list.

"Wow, Jackie, this is so awesome. Can't believe you pulled it off. " Bex congratulated her sister, shaking her shoulders gently, her fingertips brushing the maroon red fabric of Jackie's dress made by Angelica, her adoptive mother.

Rebecca herself wore a short cut midnight blue dress with thin strapped sleeves to compliment her blonde up-do hair. 

"The Events Committee is gonna be stoked." Candy beamed, once again looking around at the party before them.

"I hope so. The photo booth alone has raised over a thousand dollars for charity so far. I'm gonna run for Events chair next semester." Jackie added excitedly.

"Jackie, we're freshmen. Only juniors and seniors can be committee chairs." Candy countered.

"We'll see." Jackie laughed, determination behind her eyes. 

"Anyways, it looks like the entire senior class of Saint Aldrich is here." Bex added, looking over to a group of the Saint Aldrich boys and waving as they watched her from the booth.

"Jackie, hello?" Candy questioned her friend as she saw Jackie zone back into her phone for the hundredth time that evening. "Are you with us?" She added "Okay. I see. Expecting someone in particular?" She joked, nudging Jackie's shoulder  

"Yes. Our sister. " She returned, nudging Bex in the side to bring her out of her silent flirting with the Saint Aldrich hockey captain.

"Oh, Lucy's home?" Candy asked. 

"For spring break. My parents picked her up from Bennington earlier." Jackie explained.

"She should be here by now." Bex added.

"Oh my God. This is going to be the best night ever." Candy squealed when 'Mr Brightside' starting playing on the speakers. The three girls looked between each other before laughing at Candy's sudden outburst.

"Jackie. Rebecca." A male voice called behind them making both girls turn and look up at the man stood watching them. 

"Uncle Richard?" Jackie questioned.

"What are you doing here?" Bex asked, looking between her adoptive uncle and the teaching staff behind him. 

"Girls... We need to talk..." Richard started.

Its fair to say Rebecca stopped listening to Richard quite quickly when he let the girls know about the loss of their sister and parents. She felt numb. She'd gone through this before yet it still felt like a joke. Like some sick prank someone was pulling on her. She was hurried into a car with her sister and taken to their house to get a few essentials before being taken to their uncles house to stay the night.

-

The next few months were torturous. The funeral approached quicker than expected and the girls were forced to sit in the front row facing three perfectly symmetrical caskets, each with a picture of one of their family members to haunt them as they looked on.  What was worse was that during the reading of their parents will it stated they were to be taken in by the care of a Mrs Katherine Walter and her husband George. The girls had no memory of the pair and had only met briefly at their family's funeral. They would be taken from Richard and sent across the states to Colorado.