The Cole Effect (1)

"Oh, wow." Jackie exclaimed, looking at the contraption stationed between Will and herself as he removed the cover. "Uh, what is it again?" She questioned, looking at it strangely.

"Abigail Walter sold cider to weary prospectors with this very cart during the Colorado Gold Rush. And her grandson, Bernard Walter, used it for bootlegging." Will replied proudly, tapping the top of the cart with his palm.

"Allegedly." Alex scoffed. "Though, I will admit, his nickname was Boozy Bernie." he elaborated. 

"These days, we only wheel it out on special occasions." Will explained. 

"And that includes... football games?" Bex questioned from beside Alex. 

"This isn't any ordinary football game here, okay?" Will exclaimed, almost offendedly. "This is homecoming. Bighorns versus Hawks. A gridiron rivalry over 100 years old? Did you not have homecoming back East? " He questioned.

"Our old school didn't have a football team." Jackie explained.

"Or boys." Bex sighed as she added to the conversation. 

"Well, it's good small-town fun. You know, working the cart at Homecoming Huddle has kind of become a Walter rite of passage. And it's for charity. We do it every year." Will beamed.

"Still confused as to why Jackie and I need babysitters to sell apple cider." Alex sighed, shaking his head.

"You'll be glad I'm there when it springs a leak or rolls down Main Street or something." Will concluded. "We also need someone to look after the two of you because you aren't exactly trustworthy alone together." He teased, referring to Bex baby sitting the two young loves.

There was no point in denying that everyone in the house had noticed the change between Alex and Jackie's friendship. The two had been disappearing off together for long periods of time and rather quickly the family figured out the two were officially dating when Alex slipped up in the car one morning and called her "babe".

"Okay, Butch Cassidy. Give me a hand here." Will teased, making Alex go to his side to move the cart.

Bex smirked at Jackie before turning to leave the three working on the cart as she exited the barn, leaning against the door frame as she watched some of the other siblings playing football. 

"Perfect. Now, when there's a defender on you, you gotta stay focused because you gotta create separation. Okay?" Cole explained to his little sister as he readied the ball. "Take it easy. Hike!" 

"Number 19 was having a heck of a day until rookie Isaac Garcia stepped off the bench. " Lee commentated from the side-lines as Isaac stood, defending Parker.

"Gotta get open, P. Make him fake!" Cole called, passing the ball to his sister which Isaac grabbed quickly.

 "And that's an interception!" Isaac cheered, running a circle around the two blondes. 

"Isaac, she's nine." Cole gritted.

"Let's go." Parker called for another round before turning to her father on the steps to the ranch. 

"Hey! Good hustle out there, but time to hit the showers, all right?" He called, Lee and Isaac immediately walking into the house as Cole walked up to his sister, crouching in front of her so they were level.

"That's not the game face we practiced." He teased, ruffling her hair as she pouted.

 "It's my first time playing offense. What if I mess up and we lose?" Parker worried.

"Hey. It's like Dad says, "You can't win until you learn to lose." That's what peewee football is about. Learning how to lose, getting back up, and winning. Okay, nobody starts with the Super Bowl." Cole reassured, placing his hands on her shoulders. "But... if you're nervous, which I know you won't be, you look up into the stands, and you'll see me eating popcorn and cheering you on. Front row center. Cross my heart." He smiled. She nodded, smiling up at her brother before turning and running to the house. Cole lent on his knees, grimacing sharply as he stood back up. He grasped his left knee, furrowing his brows as he breathed heavily.