Twenty seven.

(Azara's POV)

I sighed as the sun's rays shone through the curtains of Bradly's room.

My hangover from yesterday had luckily passed. I had stayed at Bradly's for the night since the funeral was today.

I shut my eyes tightly, not wanting to face today's events. I checked the time and saw that it was an hour and a half until we had to be at the funeral.

I laid there for another few minutes before I heard a knock on the door.

I looked up to see Bradly standing at the door with a sad smile on his face. Today was going to be hard for all of us.

I didn't return the smile and hid my head under the covers.

Bradly came over to me and sat down next to me. "C'mon Az, we need to get ready." He said.

I peeked my head out from under the covers and pouted. "But I don't want to get up Brads. I don't want to go." I was being childish but I would try anything to get my mind off of today.

He kissed my head. "C'mon. I'll be with you every step of the way."

***

After Bradly had persuaded me to get up, we had a quiet breakfast and then we got ready.

I stared at my navy uniform that I was going to have to wear.

This would be the day I say goodbye.

I held back my tears. I needed to stay strong.

It's not only me that's affected by his death. I can't imagine what Aleena was feeling.

I couldn't imagine losing Bradly. So I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and be there for her.

I got dressed, put my hair in a tiny bun and put my hat on.

I went downstairs and met Rooster at the door, he was also dressed in his navy uniform.

The drive to the funeral site was silent. No one dared utter a word to break the silence of the dread filled vehicle.

We arrived at the site and greeted everyone, giving them our condolences.

My face remained stoic but my emotions were running haywire.

I reached Aleena and gave her a hug. "I'm so sorry Ally."

She nodded and cried into my shoulder. "I'm sorry. You lost him too." I gave her a sad smile.

"Thank you." I pulled away just enough to see her face. "I don't know if this is the right time, but before he...before he died he said to tell you he loves you."

I didn't know if it was the right time or place but I felt like Aleena needed it at that moment.

Then everyone except the pilots sat down and the ceremony began.

I was called up after a while to put in his wings.

I took a deep breath and I felt Rooster squeezed my hand from beside me.

I mustered up all the courage I had left and made my way to my best friend's coffin.

I stood at the end of it as the trumpets began and waited as Lukas' flag was given to Aleena.

I took his wings and placed them on his coffin as the trumpets continued.

Tears streamed down my face but it held no expression. I was breaking down on the inside but couldn't let it show.

The trumpets stopped and I hit my fist on the wings, slamming them into the polished wood of the coffin.

I stared straight ahead as they performed the missing man formation and then for a moment everything was a blur.

When I came back to my senses I realized that everyone had gathered for tea.

I stood in a corner.

Numb.

After a while everyone was allowed to say their last goodbye and then head home.

I stayed at the back of the room and watched as everyone said goodbye to one of the best men I have ever known.

He always found a way to crack a joke and make everyone smile, no matter the circumstances.

After everyone was gone I slowly made my way toward the coffin. I took a flower and placed it on there a few of my tears dropping onto the wood with it.

I placed my open palm on the surface of the wood. "I miss you. Why did you have to do this to me you jerk?" I said, tears streaming down my face in rivers.

"I thought we would be together until the day we both died. But now you left me here. Just for some stupid planes!" My voice got a little louder with each word.

"But there's nothing I can do about it." I took a deep breath.

This was the moment.

The moment that I would say goodbye and he would go six feet under.

The moment where all I physically had of him would be gone.

My voice was shaky as I spoke my next words. "I'm gonna miss you so much. But this is where we part ways."

I placed a kiss on the coffin as my tears made puddles on the surface.

"I love you 300" My breathing was uneven and my voice shaky. "Till the end of the line."

And with a last look, I walked away and left my brother, my best friend...behind.

***

I wiped furiously at the tears that spilled from my eyes as I walked to my car.

I got in and drove to my house to find Rooster waiting for me.

He immediately pulled me into a hug and held me tightly.

I held my emotions in check but they were fighting against my will.

Rooster petted my hair and whispered. "Let go."

And for the first time in a long time. I ket my emotions run free in front of Bradly.

I sobbed into his warm embrace and almost collapsed. But he held me steady.

"I love you." He kissed my head and I felt a few of his tears land on my head.

"I love you too."

A/N: I literally cried while writing this chapter!!😭😭😭😭😭

~Mike❤️