08 | In a rush

Marco Revello  

"Man in late twenties was found dead in his apartment." Uninterested, I shut my tv off. Stared at my black tv screen while glancing at the clock. Rose up from my chair as I fixed my suit.

"You don't have anything to do with that?" Arthur questioned me with crossed arms. Glancing at me with wonder in his eyes. "Wait, where are you going?" He asked, causing me to directly face him. I have lived alone for so long, completely forgot what it was like to have a little brother constantly questioning my every move.

"I'll be home a bit late. I thought about hiring a babysitter but Rhys told me you are far too old for that." I explained as I directed my attention back to my reflection. "I have eyes everywhere Arthur." I reminded him as I grabbed my keys. "Behave." I warn him, looking into his eyes not seeing a single trace of fear. He flashed me one of his smug smiles.

"I'm 20, not 5." He retorts back.

Glance at him one last time before I grab the door handle. "Then act like it."

Rhys stood outside patiently waiting for me with the car door opened. I sat in the back with my eyes glued on my phone. Checked the invitation list looking for one name in particular. Mr Reed hasn't been spotted in Londen, yet I was sure he will attend his own daughter's birthday party.

Once we arrived at the mansion I made sure to look at my surroundings. Counted the amount of bodyguards guarding the house. Standing right at the entrance and some hidden behind all the decorations. All the different flowers on display almost took my attention away from the Princess. Golden locks cascading down her back with a smile plastered across her face. The necklace around her neck showed off her wealth, well more like her father's wealth. Everyone here knows she has never worked a day in her life.

"Marco!" She squealed happily as she ran into my arms, bringing all the attention back onto me.

"Happy birthday, Isabelle ." I told her.

Her cheeks warm up. "Thank you for coming."

I'm only here for your father was what I had wanted to tell her, but I smiled instead. "Of course Isa."

Her name was being called from every direction. Issabelle flashed me an apologetic smile. She excused herself as she walked to another group of people. My eyes roamed around the room amazed yet slightly unsure. It was clear that he loved his daughter, and as a father why would he take from others what he himself held dearly. I suppose we had that in common. Not caring about others unless it's blood.

Finally I watch the man I have been waiting for enter the mansion. Stood proudly beside his daughter as he greeted her. Lowered his head to whisper something in her ear. Expensive suit on full display with a golden watch to finish the look. Probably bought with the money he received from selling off children.

"Thank you all for attending my Princess birthday. It means so much to me that you could all make it." He faced his daughter with a smile plastered on his face. "Enjoy your birthday sweetheart."

"Thank you Dad." She shouted loudly as she jumped in his arms. The guest started clapping and singing happy birthday. Waitress entered with a huge white cake decorated with more flowers.

As the guests were eating their cake he slowly disappeared through the crowd. I followed him outside. Found him looking at his garden.

"I know why you are here." Mr Reed spoke, his hands buried deep inside of his pockets. I remained silent, glanced over at him with curiosity.

"You want to clear the rumors that came alive once you left Italy. Yet there is one thing I don't understand." He turned around to face me. "You know they aren't true, so why care so much?" He questions me. A smile slowly grew on his face, almost mocking me.