22 | Lingering shadows

Marco Revello

For once in my life I allowed emotions to control me. Each time my hand made contact with their faces it only filled me more with rage.

They had one job.

One damned job.

"I think that's enough." Rhys pulled me back. Hands me a tissue to wipe my bloody hands with. The same look of anger was plastered on his face as well.

"Call Leon." I tell him as I get back inside my apartment. Searching for a pair of honey brown eyes. Ezhil held on to Sophia with a smile on her face. Slowly rubbing her shoulders for comfort.

Rhys handed me his phone. "Yes?"

"I need you to stay with Ezhil and Sophia." I spoke, waiting for an answer.

"Where are you going?" His tone filled with curiosity.

Unsure, I glanced around the room. "You have 20 minutes, don't be late." I hung up the phone and handed it back to Rhys.

Rhys briefly looked at me with an unreadable expression. "He will insist on joining you." Rhys reminded me as if I didn't know my very own brother. Of course he would want to join me to make sure I'm not walking straight into danger. If everything depended on him, he would gladly lay his life for me.

"He won't if he doesn't know where I'm going." Rhys quietly nods his head. Clearly not agreeing with my choices but unable to stop me.

I head towards my office. Let my eyes roam around searching for the tip off Rogan had given me. The estimated amount of children and women I might find at his hideout made me nauseous. Showing weaknesses could cost me my life. Pretending not to care and turning the other cheek might make me lose my sense of self.

A soft knock on the door brought me out of my thoughts. Ezhil stood there clearly hesitating on entering my office. The bewildered look she had on her face earlier was now gone.

"T-Thank you." She stammered.

Slowly placed the documents back on my desk as she took a few more steps closer to me. My attention now is entirely on her. "That must be the last time I ever see you happy to see me." Ezhil laughter filled the room causing the corners of my mouth to curve upwards.

"I wouldn't call it me being happy..." She falls quiet searching for a better way to explain herself. "It was more me being relieved." She admitted.

"Relieved to see me?" I asked her to make sure I didn't misinterpret her.

Ezhil averts her gaze. "I'm glad you came back." She whispered under her breath. Spoke so softly I almost didn't catch it.

My eyes shifted from her eyes to her plump lips. The need to grab her and pull her even closer to me almost won. I could only bring myself to look at her with longing. Depriving myself of sugar and she is the sweetness I could only ever dream of tasting.

I laugh as I bury my hands in my pockets. She is completely oblivious to what I'm willing to do for her, it's amusing. I reach out for her hand. Drew circles with my thumb. Brought it closer to my lips and placed a soft kiss making her freeze.

"Ask for the world Ezhil..." I trailed off as I looked into her eyes. "And I'll give the entire universe."

Taken back she pulls her hand away. The door abruptly opens revealing a confused Leon. "Am I abrupting something?"

"No...you aren't." Ezhil said, walking past Leon in a hurry.

Leon squints his eyes at me. "Okay, anyway where are you going?"