26 | Cat and mouse

Marco Revello

My phone was blowing up, which was understandable. The news didn't waste any time discussing the accident that took place. It wasn't too detailed but the blurred picture they used easily gave away my identity. I quickly bandaged up my bloody hand, before staring at myself in the mirror of the station's bathroom. My hair as messy as ever, the bags beneath my eyes made me look like I hadn't slept in weeks. The lack of shine in my eyes wasn't too surprising. Letting her go was hard, it made me feel empty inside. Almost as if she took a piece of me when she left.

"Should I call you brothers to ease their mind? I'm sure they saw the news." Rhys comments as he leans against the wall. His phone was already in his hand, ready to make multiple phone calls.

"Call Sophia and tell her to start moving to a different location."

Rhys slowly looks up from his phone to look into my eyes. It's as if the pieces slowly fall right into place. "You left her with Sophia?" He wondered taken back.

I slowly avert my gaze from the mirror and turn around to face him. "Make the phone call. We already lost too much time." I complained as I grabbed more tissues to wipe my face. Blood dripped down my forehead, eventually coating my shirt red.

The look on Rhys face as he made the phone call told me enough. "Tell her to hurry." I remind Rhys.

Once we walk out of there we quickly get into a black vehicle parked further from the station on the side of the road. Once we drove off I finally leaned back into my seat. Adrenaline pumping through my veins, bringing me on a high. Masking the pain that should make it unbearable to even move. I couldn't hear much anymore other than the sound of my own heartbeat. Pounding inside of my chest almost aggressively.

"It's Massimo." Rhys told me as he handed me the phone.

My mouth slightly opens ready to form a firm no but he pushes the phone right into my palm. I put him on speaker as I closed my eyes.

"Are you out of your damn mind?" Massimo's voice fills the entire car. The unsettling atmosphere now surrounded all of us.

"Massimo, calm down." I brought out weekly.

The other side of the line is quiet until I hear a small sigh. "At first I thought you were simply irritated with Mr Reed but now I'm certain it's an obsession. You could have died Marco..." the line is quiet again. I can hear him breathing, or maybe he was holding himself back from insulting me. "You could have died." He repeats again yet this time around his voice cracked at the end.

I want to tell him how wrong he was. That I'm not as irrational to willingly walk into a trap I knew was set up, but I was. Gambling with my own life just to finally set my plan into motion. So far he has been one step ahead. Outsmarting me each time. I can hear his laughter and mocking voice each time he wins. Calling me obsessed wasn't the correct term to describe how I was feeling. Frustrated or even desperate would be more fitting.

"I'm fine Massimo what are you getting all sentimental for? I'm not dying." I told him but as soon those words escaped my lips I felt the aching pain that surrounded my entire body.

"Marco?" I can faintly hear my brother calling for me.

"Speed up!" Rhys screams besides me. As he wraps something around my stomach. Confused, I glance down only to see a thick glass pulled out of my body and a pool of blood seeping into my pants and eventually the backseat.

"Fuck, speed up the car!" Rhys screams loudly as he pushes into my wound. "Marco?" He calls for me and I look up to meet his blue eyes.

"Mm?" I say weakly.