- Chapter 40 -

The whole walk to school is full of the two of them arguing, until it eventually goes to talking about the episode they left off on. 

"I think I fell asleep between the fight with the robot minions and him actually getting into the cave." 

Kacchan sighs, his hands in his pockets as he walks. They pass the school gate, where only a handful of students are. Some are from clubs, having early practices, or some are just sluggishly walking around. 

"That shit was so badass! He just punched the fucking air, and it crushed like, fifty of those little bastards!" 

Izuku feels his cheeks stretch out into a smile. 

"I love when he does that! I like when his sidekicks show up too! They all have such cool designs and superpowers!" 

Kacchan looks at him, and he can see the small hint of a grin on his face. It makes him feel more excited! He's never gotten to talk about his favorite show like this with anyone before! They enter the building, and more students are switching their shoes and getting supplies for the start of the day. 

"Isn't there one dressed like a shitty version of all might?" 

The two of them walk to their classroom, sliding the door open. 

"His name is Mighty Boy! He shows up in a couple of episodes in the background, and there are even posters of him set up on some of the buildings! He ends up getting his own spin off episode in one of the seasons," 

They walk over to their desks, and Izuku puts his backpack down as he sits. Kacchan sits backwards in his chair, the back of it hitting Izuku's desk. 

"They even did a special sale where the plushie All might had a little wonder boy attached to it!" 

As Izuku is talking, Kacchan is pulling out some things from his backpack. The one-inch-thick packet, and a couple of pens. He flips through it and starts to finish some stuff. 

"I bet you have that same plushie stuffed somewhere in your room you fucking nerd." 

He doesn't say it in a harsh tone or even in a slightly mean one. He says it in an almost fond way, and it makes Izuku's cheeks warm. He looks away. From the window, he can see more students coming into the building, the sun now higher in the sky. 

"I do... It took five hours in line, but it was so worth it!" 

Kacchan grins, attention still on his packet. 

"You are such a-" 

"Midoriya." 

Izuku tenses up in surprise before turning back. He relaxes and smiles. 

"Hey Todoroki! Did you just get here?" 

Todoroki is stoic as usual, his uniform perfect and not a single hair out of place. His eyes flicker to Kacchan before staying on him. 

"No, I've been here the whole time." 

Izuku's smile falters. How could he not notice one of his best friends just sitting there? Todoroki moves on from it too quickly for Izuku to apologize right away. 

"I actually wanted to ask you something." 

Izuku nods, eager to help. He notices the burning glare of the blonde behind him even when he's turned away. Todoroki doesn't say anything for a moment, his mouth turned downwards slightly. 

"I..." 

He lets out a breath and continues. 

"I missed class and I need some notes." 

Izuku smiles and brings out his notebook and a pen. He doesn't know why Todoroki looked so hesitate about asking him just to borrow some notes, but maybe he's just nervous about having to ask for help. 

"Of course, Todoroki! You can sit and can copy them down!"

The boys slight frown turns into a small smile. 

"Thank you, Midoriya. I'll get my stuff."  

Todoroki walks over to his desk, and Izuku turns back and meets Kacchans eyes. It's hard not to when he is glaring at him so hard. 

"W-What?" 

Kacchan silently reaches his hand out and flicks him on the forehead, his eyes narrowed. 

"Ow!" 

"Dumbass!" 

Izuku rubs the spot with his hand, glaring back at him. 

"What was that for?!" 

"For being a dumbass!" 

"What did I do?!" 

"You don't deserve to know dumbass!" 

"Stop calling me that Kacchan!" 

"Dumbass!" 

Todoroki comes back over, his notebook and pencil in his hands. In an instant, Kacchans glare is directed back at him, one of his hands gripping his pen while the other points. 

"You! Candy cane bastard! Go back to your seat and fuck off!" 

Todoroki sits down after pulling up a chair on the other side of the desk, smoothly opening his notebook and getting ready to write. He looks back at Kacchan, his face stoic, his lips tightly together.

"Midoriya told me I could sit here. This is his desk." 

Kacchan grits his teeth and yells again, the throbbing pain on Izuku's forehead still present. 

"Yeah, well there isn't enough fucking room for you!" 

"It looks like there would be a lot more if you just turned around and worked on your own desk." 

"What the fuck did you just-?!" 

Before the arguing can get any worse, Izuku jumps in. 

"Okay! We can all sit here, there is more than enough room! Don't fight!" 

Kacchan looks at him before clicking his tongue and grumbling, angrily writing on his packet. Todoroki doesn't say anything, looking over at Izuku's notebook and copying down notes. Izuku lets out a short, relieved breath. 

Todoroki glances at him, sliding his chair slightly closer to his own. 

"Midoriya, I have a question about this part right here." 

Izuku leans forward, looking at the part he is pointing at. Kacchan glares and from under the table, slides Todoroki's chair back. It screeches against the floor and Izuku thanks whatever God out there that there isn't so many people in the classroom yet. 

"You don't have to be so fucking close just to ask a question icy hot." 

Izuku notices Todoroki's hand tighten around his pencil, but he doesn't say anything. He hopes everyone shows up soon...