Chapter 19

The two of them made their way to Arizona territory.

Billy wasted no time in teaching her how to shoot.

The two of them practiced every night the past couple weeks.

"Remember what I taught you?" Billy asked, handing her his gun.

She nodded. "Of course."

She planted her feet firmly, Billy rested his hands on her waist as she aimed. She took a breath, firing.

"Good," Billy smiled.

The two of them continued on as the afternoon hit.

"There's a creek nearby," Missie said, hearing the sound of it.

Billy nodded. "Should get the horses some water."

The two made their way down when they saw a horse and a fire. Billy slowly reached for his shotgun when they heard someone cock their gun.

Billy slowly raised his hand, glancing back. Missie gripped her reigns, ready to grab his pistol as he raised his arm just high enough in case she needed to grab it.

"Who the hell... are you?" A man asked.

"My name's Billy Antrim. Just passing through. We didn't mean to intrude," Billy answered as the man walked around to his side.

"What the hell are you doin' riding up here?" He asked, still pointing his shotgun at him. "Hm?"

"I just broke outta jail," Billy answered.

"That has gotta be... The best excuse I ever heard for being anywhere," he said before laughing.

He slowly lowered his shotgun. Billy slowly dismounted his horse and handed his reigns to Missie.

She slowly nodded at him as he rested his hand on his gun and tapped it three times before he stepped back from her and walked with the man towards the fire.

Missie watched for a minute cautiously before taking the horses to get some water and to freshen up, making sure she was close to Billy's horse which carried the shotgun.

"What's your name?" Billy asked as he sat down on a stone, making sure he had a clear view of Missie.

"Alias. That's my name," he answered, pouring some beer in a cup and offering it to Billy. "Every time I got arrested, I gave 'em a different name. And they kept asking, 'Are you using an alias?' And it made perfect sense to me to just say, 'Yes. Exactly. I'm using an alias... 'cause that's my name.'"

He slowly stabbed some bird meat he had cooked up and offered it to him. Billy took it, carefully eyeing him and the knife. He glanced at Missie who was watching from a distance, petting the horses as they drank.

"Why'd you get arrested?" Billy asked.

"I just don't like the law," Alias answered after a long pause.

Billy slowly nodded, his eyes dropping to the knife again before he glanced at Missie. She was walking towards them when Alias pulled his gun on him.

Missie stopped in her tracks grabbing ahold of his shotgun.

"You think I was gonna kill you?" Alias asked. "If I was, you'd already be dead," he said before laughing and putting his gun away. "I'm just playin'."

Missie waited a moment before she dropped her hand from the gun and continued foward.
She tied the horses up and sat on a stone beside Billy who offered her some bird.

"Thanks," she softly whispered.

"Who's the lovely little lady?" Alias asked.

"I'm his wife, Missie Antrim, but Mrs. Antrim to you," Missie answered.

Alias smirked at her sass and laughed his annoying laugh that made her skin want to crawl.

"So, now you're outta jail... Where you plan on goin'? It just so happens I'm on the move too. I was thinking of heading back into Texas, pick up some work. If you can rope and ride, them ranches don't care about nothin' else. Maybe you wanna... string along? You're an outlaw now, boy. You ain't got a lot of options," Alias said, laughing again.

~

That evening Billy and Missie went hunting for dinner.

"You thinking about going along with him?" Missie asked.

"I am. Do you not want me to?"

"Does it matter what I think?"

"Of course it matters what you think. You ran away with me without thinking twice. You had every reason to forget me."

Missie stopped and stared at him. "I wouldn't- you know that. These men are not like you. They purposely break the law not caring if people get harmed. I know you wouldn't have hurt those people back in Silver City. Which is why I'm sticking by you."

"And I value your opinion, as my wife, and as my equal."

Missie shrugged. "I just don't trust him," she answered, shooting and hitting a rabbit. "But if this is the only opportunity for a job... Take it."

The two made their way to the rabbit and Billy picked it up.

"Billy. Just- just be careful," Missie said, looking at him.

"Always," he smiled, brushing his nose against hers.

"You're a pretty good shot," he whispered.

"I have a good teacher," she smiled.

He slowly kissed her cupping her face.