Chat with the Ladies.

In the ladies' parlor...

"What did we expect? They share birthdays, clothes, living arrangements and they have been business partners since their first jobs sixteen years old. It was either going to be identical twins or one woman who can handle both." Niaomi exclaimed, pouring a glass of wine. Evangeline explained that she was okay with others drinking. They were sitting about the roaring fireplace on the plush red couch.

"I never knew I could fall in love again after Trent. And to love two men equally, I still don't know how I do it. Like the prefect man split in two." Evangeline tried to explain to them and herself. It still struck her as strange at times, but she would not change it for the world.

"Trust me, it was odd at first when they told us that they found the love of their lives in the same woman. We always hope that they would settle down." Aoife told Evangeline as she sipped from her glass. "Just... how do you do it, keeping up with them in everyday life?" She was curious.

"I am great at multi-tasking, and I color coded everything when dealing with them." Evangeline was blunt with her answer. The ladies laughed, saying that was one way of handling it. Evangeline felt more relax with them since arriving. That and watching a man having his intestines pulled out of his body put her on a bit of edge.

"Leo and Rake said that you two have known each other since grade school. How did you meet?" Evangeline asked for she was curious about the two women who raised them.

"I had just move from Hong Kong with my father. My father got transfer with his job. I was shy and scared in a new place and school. Kids started to pick on me at recess. Calling me names and such. One of the mean girls was pushing me into a brick wall. Aoife came over, grabbed the girl by her hair and slammed her head against it." Mai remembered, taking her best friend's hand.

"When the other girls try to lie, saying that it was unprovoked. she stood up for me." Aoife explained. "Thicker than thieve since that day. When I was engaged to Usra, I told him that he better get used to having Mai in his life because she was my real ride or die. So, he plans a double date with Sasha to get to know her and five months after Usra and I got married, they tied the knot in Vegas." The two older women smiled at each other.

"Was having the boys on the same day planned?" Evangeline asked.

They laughed. "Kind of. We wanted our children to be the same age so they could be friends. And when we learn that we were pregnant together, it became a joke about having them on the same day." Aoife giggled, remembering the event fondly.

"We were just having a girls' day together and the men were in the house office. It was like a day or so before our expected due days. In the middle of our favorite movie, Aoife's water breaks. So, while Usra is trying to get her in the car, I tell Sasha that he better get our car too for my water just broke." Mai smiled.

Evangeline was going to say something but there was a sad look in Aoife. "We even got pregnant with our second at the same time. Nearly ten years after the boys. I don't think Leonardo told you, but ...I was abducted when I was five months pregnant. It was to send a message to Usra and the families. I was rape and I lost the baby, a girl. An infection set in afterwards, causing me to become infertile." Aoife took a breath. Tears welled up in the older woman's eyes.

"Aoife, I am so sorry." Evangeline took her hand, squeezing it gently.

"When you were taken, I prayed that you would be found quickly. I knew...what was happening to you. Everyone was searching and you were still missing. Such a dread feeling." Aoife took a sip of her wine. Her blue eyes flamed with angry. Leo had her eyes.

Evangeline's breath was shaky. Aoife pulled her close, holding the younger woman like to comfort a child. Mai sat next to Evangeline, hugging her along with Aoife. Niaomi sat on the other side of Aoife, hugging them too.

"Did...they ever find who did it?" Evangeline asked quietly.

"Oh yes. Do you want to see their heart?" Aoife asked in such a calm tone like it was normal to have a human heart around the house.

"Their...show me." Evangeline asked in awe. Aoife stood up and went to the bookcase. Moving a set of false books, she opened a safe. Inside a small cedar box on a blue cushion was the actual heart of the man who hurt Aoife.

"This is the heart of Alfonzo Pelle. He was a general for the older Fonzo Boss. At the time, the Russian were happy with what they had. The Italians wanted them out of the city completely. They thought doing that to me would cause Usra to give up. To allow them to take back everything the families work hard to get. They learned to never poke the Bear." Her tone was smooth, holding the heart in her hand. "It was one of the strangest dates that Usra and I ever had. It was rather sweet how Usra broke his ribcage open and let me pull it out while he was still alive."

"Here I thought watching a man getting his guts pulled out was something." Evangeline blurted out.

"His guts pulled from his body! How?" Niaomi asked Evangeline with a bit of excitement in her voice.

"A greyhound chasing the hare. I release the chute latch." Evangeline told her. "Just happen tonight."

"That is why the boys pushed dinner back. We could have done it as a family." Mai huffed. Evangeline started to laugh which got the other women to laughing. They continued to talk and laugh until Leo and Rake came to collect Evangeline for it was getting late.

As they were leaving, Aoife stopped Evangeline. "Leonardo told me what happen to your grandmother's ring. I know that this will never replace it, but this was my grandmother's. I was hoping to be able to give it to my daughter one day. Now, I can." Aoife slipped a silver claddagh ring with a Connemara marble gemstone off her own hand and place in on Evangeline's. It fit perfectly on Evangeline's finger. With tears in for Evangeline hugged Aoife. She hugged Evangeline and kissed her forehead.

Niaomi walked them out to the car. "Next time you unlive someone, call me up. I am never too busy to help my big brothers and my sister-in-law." She kissed Rake on the cheek goodbye.

"Just make sure I am not near them when you start throwing your knife. Remember." Rake held up his hand, pointing at the faint straight scar in the middle of the back of his hand.

"Move when I say move." Niaomi rolled her eyes and looked at Evangeline. "Men, never listen. That is why I am a lesbian, though Hannah doesn't listen either. You will get to meet her when we go to lunch on Thursday." Niaomi smiled, kissing her cheek. After giving Leo a kiss, she went back into the house while they loaded into the car.