The doctors appointment

Another alarm went off at six thirty but it was just for school. Like a robot I went downstairs to heat up a waffle, made my bed, and packed my lunchbox. At about seven Dad came downstairs. "You have a doctor's appointment today so I'm picking you up from school at two." I nodded my head to this and left for the school bus.

-Time skip to two in the afternoon-

The classroom phone rang. My ears perked up at it suspecting that I was being dismissed. Mr. Shoedestroyer picked up the phone after the third ring and replied with an "Okay I'll send her right down." I glanced up from my worksheet and he made eye contact. "(Y/N) you are being dismissed now." I grabbed my computer and binder from my desk and strutted out of the classroom to my locker.

I flew down the stairs and found Dad in the entrance. "Took you long enough, get in the car." He ordered. I wasted no time and climbed into the front seat of his worn out truck. I slammed the door and plugged my earbuds into my phone. He was already in a crabby mood, I smelled the cheap beer on his breath. I opened the YouTube app and scrolled through Game Theory. I got sucked into the infinite rabbit hole of Fnaf. Video after video seemed to beg my finger to select it. I felt the car turn into the shady parking garage right next to the hospital. Without even looking up from my phone, I left the car and followed Dad across the garage, into an elevator, and through the long confusing hallways of the hospital. Before I knew it, I was sitting in a waiting room. The blue chair that I was sitting in was scented like rubbing alcohol. Young kids were playing with a colorful maze of wires and beads on a short table. A few kids were tapping on the glass of a fish tank. Others were flipping through the board books that were provided in a wooden basket. My eyes didn't drift away from my phone for a split second.

"Y/N" a lady in light blue scrubs called. I paused the video and stood up. I followed her through the carpeted hall and into a room. She asked me to take off my shoes and hoodie. I remembered something, the bandaid. It would look like I already got an injection! With my hoodie I ripped off the bandaid. I stepped on the scale and then placed myself next to the wall to get my height measured. The nurse scrubbed on her clipboard and said "The doctor will see you shortly."

Ten minutes later a man with a white coat and stethoscope opened the door. "So you must be y/n! How's school?" He joyfully greeted. "School is going fine!" I responded. He gestured for me to sit on the exam table. The paper crinkled as I hopped onto it. He wiped the round metal end of the stethoscope and placed it onto my stomach and heart. I breathed in and out.

"Okay so we are going to do some blood work. It will be quick, I promise!" I smiled and replied "Got it" another nurse came in with syringes. She cleaned my arm and jabbed me with the needle. It stuck in my skin as she pulled the plunger back, sucking out blood like a vampire. She finally yanked it out and stuck a fresh bandaid on top of it. She scribbled on a piece of paper and then gave me my flu shot in a similar manner. I thanked her and started to head out of the door.

Without skipping a beat I went back to the video, I walked back through the building and into the car fixated on Matpat's theory.

-time skip to the next day-

As I walked to the kitchen table in my green game theory pajamas my Dad had slimmed eyes. His pupils seemed to follow me as I opened the fridge and cabinets. He occasionally sipped his steaming black coffee without breaking his tense scare. I was almost afraid to ask but as I settled in my chair with my breakfast I meekly questioned "What?" He snapped back, the fumes released. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHAT?" "It just seemed like there was something going on..." "ILL TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED. YOU GOT F*CKING CANCER. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PAY FOR ALL OF THIS TREATMENT BULLSH*T!? HUH?"

Was he serious? His only child got a deadly disease and he is worried about the COST OF TREATMENT!? I knew he was cruel and twisted but this was borderline psychopathic. The words rolled on my tongue, I wanted to call him a horrible father, curse him for what he has done. I instead quietly told him "Sorry." He didn't soften up after this apology. "YOU ARE SUCH A DISGRACE OF A CHILD. MY BIGGEST REGRET IN LIFE IS NOT GETTING YOU ABORTED!" He insulted. I scrubbed my plate at the sink and put it in the drying rack. Then I went straight to my room. Despite this otherwise heart-wrenching news and awful things that were said, I couldn't stop smiling. My plan was working! I almost danced in glee. I got ready for the school day and grabbed my backpack. I placed my beanie over my ears to block out the annoying insults that Dad was spewing at me. Then I flung open the door and made it to the bus just as it halted at the stop.

As I scrolled through the Food Theory videos I started to wonder. Were my teachers told about the diagnosis? Will I get anything out of it? I decided to mask my joy with a solemn face. If I could die from this I might as well try to muster sympathy out of it.