Dad...?

I went back to my room and saw a few notifications on my phone. They were still coming in as I heard from the dings. I reached for the phone and a shiver crawled up and down my spine as soon as I saw the contact name. It was my father.

I opened up the texts and to my expectation, they were all insulting me.

HOW DARE YOU! YOU F*CKING PIECE OF SH*T! YOU HAD TO BE A DRAMATIC LITTLE B*TCH AND NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN I HAVE LAWYERS COMING FOR MY A*S.

WHY YOU RAN AWAY? I HAVE NO IDEA! YOU HAD A FINE LIFE BUT NOOO IM Y/N AND I AM A SPOILED B*TCH WHO DOESN'T APPRECIATE THE LIFE I HAD!

F*CKING DISAPPOINTMENT

I NEVER LOVED YOU

I shouldn't respond, right? I thought to myself. Mat said that if this happens then I should let him know and he can handle it but was that really the right decision? I needed a second opinion so I called Nora. "Hi-" She said as she picked up her phone. "So...my Dad texted me...what do I do?" I interrupted. "What did he say!?" She asked. "Just insulting me and some stuff." "Just about running away or..." "From what I can tell, Mat got a lawyer to talk to him." "I don't think it would be wise to reply. Make him think that you blocked him." "Well I read the messages so that isn't an option." "I don't know...maybe you could actually block him?" "Okay." I said as I took her advice. "I got to go now, good luck!" She wished me and hung up. I decided to tell Mat, he would be able to fix it.

Should I called him Dad? When I say the word "Dad" I tense up with all of the memories of little me begging my Dad to stop hitting me. That word took me back to all the times he burned me with the end of his cigarette. I stroked my finger over my outer thigh. I felt all of the small, circular marks from the cigarettes, engraved in me like tattoos. I would call him Mat for now. Maybe after a few therapy sessions I would feel more comfortable with it. I went up to the office and knocked on the door. "Mat, my Dad just texted me, what should I do?" I asked him in a panic. "Come in." He invited. I walked in and saw him working at his desk. "Show me what he said." I gave him my phone and he scrolled through the messages. He copied down his number. "Block him, don't delete the messages though. We can use them in court. Don't respond either, that will only make it worse." He advised. I tapped on his profile and pressed on the red letters that said "block."

"I just got off a zoom call, want to rematch Mario Kart? He menacingly challenged. There was no way that I could refuse this! "Bet" I told him as I grabbed two joy-cons. He smiled and opened Mario Kart. I heard the iconic "Wahoo" and music. I chose Yoshi as always and started customizing my vehicle. I didn't have much to work with since my Nintendo profile didn't have much on it. I waited for Mat to finish customizing his and began to pick the map. "Let's do the Animal Crossing map this time." I suggested. He approved of that and the timer started ticking down. For a little while, I forgot about everything and just focused on power-ups and collecting coins.

I sped past everyone else and dodged every single attack. I was on fire! I snatched each mystery box and threw each shell with the accuracy of a professional archer. I came in first place again and again and again with Mat trailing behind in second all four times. I finished with a perfect 60 points and Mat only had 48. "Well played" he congratulated. "His phone buzzed on his desk. "I've got to respond to this, let's play again some time." I put the joy-cons back and left the office.

I opened up my phone and had an obscure amount of notifications from my email. Fifteen!? I opened it up and it was my father. I smacked my forehead, obviously blocking his phone number wouldn't be enough. I peeked into the most recent email

STOP IGNORING MY TEXTS YOU F*CKING P*SSY, DID YOU SERIOUSLY THINK BLOCKING MY PHONE NUMBER WOULD STOP ME YOU STUPID F*CKHEAD?

I blocked his email. How else could he contact me? I went through my phone, blocking him from all of my social media. I wiped the sweat off my forehead, crisis averted. Well that was annoying, oh well at least it's done. I went back upstairs to tell Mat, it was even more evidence for court. My Dad thought he was hurting my feelings but really every message he sent was the equivalent of handing us a loaded gun. Right outside of the office I overheard Mat talking on a call. Oh right, he was working. This wasn't an emergency, it could wait. I pressed my ear up to the door and heard him talking about my animal crossing theories. He seemed to be researching the balloons, their history in animal crossing, and where they might be coming from. My face lit up when I heard it. He actually was working on it! I sat down by the door to listen. It was so cool hearing the whole process after so long of just hearing the final products. I heard him analyze the correlation of balloon colors and items. After about ten minutes I got bored and was about to go back to my room. I got halfway down the stairs before hearing the door open right above me. I checked my phone again and had even more emails. Twenty to be exact.

This wasn't possible! I had blocked his email! I nervously opened it and saw a strange email address. I opened one of the emails and my heart dropped.

HEY C*NT, JUST BLOCKING ME WON'T BE THAT EASY. I CAN ALWAYS CREATE A NEW EMAIL ADDRESS, STUPID. IF YOU BLOCK THIS I CAN MAKE ANOTHER AND ANOTHER.

I stared at the text and a tear escaped from my eye. He was right, there was no way to block all of the new email addresses that he would make. Mat started coming down the stairs and he saw me. I showed him all of the emails. "We can fix this once we go to court."