The plane ride

That was him! It had to be! I reached into my pocket and pulled out a blue face mask. I looped the strings around my ears and snapped it to my face, pinching the wire just above my nose. I pulled my hood up over my head. Now most of my face was concealed. Steph came out of the bathroom and grabbed one of the suitcases that Mat was dragging. I maintained a decent distance behind them but followed them to the check in counter. They moved up to the conveyor belt with rows of luggage. A woman took their things and placed them on the conveyor belt.

Now how would I get in? I thought back to what Nora did last night. Of course! I would have to distract everyone. But how could I distract them without bringing attention to me? I didn't have anyone to bring it to them so what would I do? To my luck a huge commotion started up in the line next to me. Two people had started an argument. This was no typical spat, sharp yells drew in everyone's attention. This was my chance! As the staff tried to calm down the situation I snuck up to the conveyor belt and unzipped the large suitcase that I had my eyes on. While everyone's heads gawked at the fight, I slipped in and zipped the suitcase back up as much as I could. My body in addition to everything that was in the suitcase was too much for it to close all the way. I compressed my body into a ball but it was still was open a tiny bit. It would have to do, I was in the clear.

I felt it move along the belt. In a way I was glad that I could see a little bit, sure I was at more of a risk of being seen but at least I could see what was happening in the airport. The area around me went black and then I was transported into another room. From what I could see, there were hundreds of suitcases surrounding me. Workers were checking the tags and sorting them. I felt a worker roll me over to one area and another worker brought me to another conveyer belt. I felt the case ascend into the plane and I was back in the darkness. There was a little bit of light from the opening but as the plane filled with luggage it was closed.

I made it! I used my finger to push the zipper open. I crawled out and stretched my body. I was so cramped after being in it for so long! I sat down on the cold metal of the floor and took out the blanket that I had neatly folded and tucked into my shirt. I wrapped myself in the soft, thick wool and rested my head onto a piece of luggage. I pulled out my phone and started playing geometry dash. I hopped from game to game until I felt the wheels move along the runway. I turned off my phone and felt each turn until I heard the engine sputter into a rumble. I felt weightless as the plane lifted off the ground. North Carolina, here I come!

The plane leveled in the sky and shivers went through my body. It was freezing in here! I still felt like a block of ice underneath all my layers and the wool blanket! I pulled the plastic bag out of my pocket, I took a handful of hand warmers out and activated them in my hands. Once they were nice and hot I placed them all over my body, inside my pant legs, under my shirt, on my arms, and on my neck. I popped my earbuds in and started playing music. Song after song went by until I shut my eyes and fell asleep.

-one hour later-

I squinted my eyes open and sat up, where WAS I? I settled down as my memory caught up to me, I was still in the baggage compartment of the plane. I rubbed my eyes and checked the time. About an hour had passed so there was roughly 90 minutes left on the flight. Of course it would be longer including baggage claim and the drive back. I paused my music and opened TikTok. Nothing to pass the time like mindlessly scrolling. My stomach growled at me. I took out the peanuts and poured them into my mouth, crunching down on each mouthful. I grabbed my water and firmly twisted the plastic cap. I heard the seal crackle as it opened. I put my mouth around the open part and guzzled down the cool water. I ripped open the bag of beef jerky and munched on it as I swiped through TikTok.

My stomach felt full so I closed the bag and checked the time once more. Another hour and ten minutes had passed so the plane would start its descent soon. I tucked my trash back into my pockets and searched for the suitcase. Even though I had been leaning on it the whole time, it was almost impossible to find in the pitch dark. I turned on my phone flashlight to locate the zipper. I folded the blanket again and delicately opened the bag. I squeezed myself back in but I only closed it halfway. I wouldn't put myself through more cramped spacing with a whole fifteen more minutes left on the flight. I partially closed myself in because the bag made for good insulation. I changed my mind and closed it as much as I could. I might forget to do it otherwise. My eyes felt heavy and shut again. This sleep was scheduled, it was past 1 am so I would have been in bed now anyway. My thoughts drifted into the abyss as sleep came over me.

-time skip-

Light came in so my eyes snapped open. A worker was taking the luggage out of the plane. I felt the suitcase be moved onto a cart and wheeled to baggage claim. On the baggage claim belt I traveled in a circle until I was snatched again. I heard Mat say to Steph "This bag feels a lot heavier for some reason." They were still unsuspecting! The suitcase was loaded into the trunk of an Uber and the car started up. I was almost there!