Chapter 38

Meanwhile, in a forest not far from Dr. Dana's house..

~Mark's P.O.V.~

"Damn it..." I cursed under my breath, punching the trunk of a tree with my fist. A flash of my old memories came to the front of my mind as I remembered being helplessly chained up, not being able to help Jessie. I remember yelling at her, making her cry. I felt tears prick the corner of my eyes as I recalled being a spoiled jerk to her, and yet she'd always smile, as if she was used to that type of thing. "DAMN IT ALL!" I screamed in frustration, striking the tree with all my bottled up anger. There was deafening crack, and the entire tree fell downwards, making a loud thud as it made contact with the ground. I stood there, panting heavily. I could feel a warm liquid slowly trickle down my knuckles.

"That took it a bit far don't you think?" I slightly flinched. I had forgotten that Lexi had gone with me.

"I don't really know what you're talking about," I mumbled, wiping the tears from my eyes. I tried to clean the blood, but I only managed to smear it, so I just left it like that.

"I don't think killing trees will help bring Jessie back," Lexi joked. I scowled at her.

"I don't appreciate the humor." She sighed and flew over to me.

"Hey, I've literally been with Jessie all my life," she said softly, landing on my shoulder. "She's told me all kinds of things, like secrets and jokes and all that. Things that she wouldn't tell anyone else because she's too scared to." I didn't say anything. Lexi sighed, but continued. "And, well, she has told me about you, and about how she had forcefully, um..." she trailed off, but I understood what she was going to say.

"What's your point?" I muttered, stuffing my hands into my pockets and starting to walk back to the house.

"The point is that you shouldn't blame yourself," Lexi said.

"And why not?" I murmured, looking down at the ground. "I've let her down so many times now.."

"Hmph, you think you're the only one who blames themselves?" Lexi weakly chuckled. "You know there are some of us who feel helpless too." I looked at her and sadly smiled. In the back of my head, I knew that both her and Jessie don't know what I do. The only other person who did was Father, but...he's not here in this world anymore.

"Let's just go back," I said, pushing those thoughts away and petting her. "What do you think?"

"Hai," she nodded.

***Back at Dr. Dana's house***

~Sting's P.O.V.~

"I'll go," that red-headed man said.

"Are you..sure?" Dr. Dana cocked her eyebrows. "You don't have to go."

"I'm sure," he nodded. I had no idea what it was, but I had a feeling that made me not trust him.

"I-I'll go too!" Lector spoke up, running over to me. I smiled weakly and petted his head as a way of thanks.

"Hey what's--" Mark came to the entrance of the kitchen with Lexi on his shoulder. His eyes narrowed on the red-haired man and he clenched his fists.

"I'm going to send Sting to get something for the remedy I need to make to heal him," Dr. Dana informed Mark.

"And you're going to let him go with Sting?" he glared daggers at him. The red-head looked down in shame, making me even more mistrustful.

"I'll go with him!" Lexi volunteered, smiling a forceful smile.

"Well, that's that," Dr. Dana nodded. "You flying cats and Hornet will go with Sting."

When she said the name Hornet, something clicked in my head and a fire flashed through my vision for a split second. I put a hand on the side of my head, trying to figure out what I just saw.

"We have names you know," Lexi said with a tick mark. Lector nervously smiled and patted Lexi's back.

"It's fine Lexi-chan," he comforted. "Let's just go."

"Fine," Lexi grumbled, forming her wings and flying up next to the man, who's name was apparently Hornet. Lector came over to me and frowned.

"Are you okay Sting-kun?" Lector asked worriedly. I lifted my hand away from my head and smiled weakly at him. Dr. Dana walked over to me and handed me a piece of paper. I looked at it and realized it was a map.

"This map will lead you to the area where the flowers grow," she explained. "It shouldn't take more than, at the max three hours."

"I'll go as well," Mark offered.

"No!" Lexi said quickly, making all of us look at her weirdly. "Um, I mean, why don't you help Dr. Dana here cook?" she smiled pushed Mark towards the said woman.

"But--"

"Nope! It's decided!" Lexi cut him off. She nodded over to Lector, who nodded back and started pushing me out the door. I would've protested, but I mentally cursed as no sound came from my mouth. I will never abuse my voice when I get it back.

Lexi did the same with Hornet and in a couple seconds we were both out of the house. It was then that I became aware of the fact that her house was a wooden cottage, out in the forest. It was in the middle of a small circular clearing formed by the surrounding tall trees. The forest was so thick that the only thing I could see when I peered into it was just more trees and foliage. Is this forest near Jessie? was the first thought in my head.

"Shall we get going?" Hornet spoke up. It was the first time I heard him speak, other than when he volunteered to go. I was doubtful about his trust in us, but nodded and started walking.